Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

G43 Sniper ID??

Article about: by samnev Michael, No one one knows for sure how the matched mounts were separated from the G/K43's it could have happened a number of ways to numerous to speculate here. But they were origi

MAP
    ?

Quote by samnev View Post
    Michael,
    No one one knows for sure how the matched mounts were separated from the G/K43's it could have happened a number of ways to numerous to speculate here. But they were originally issued serialized to the rifle with the same maker as the rifle and zeroed in before the rifle was issued. Any other way wouldn't make any sense. Many years back you could by the original mounts and scope for a small fraction of what they now cost as well as the G/K43. Many owner bought them and put them on their rifles to complete their rig. Similar to what owners are now doing with CMP M1D Garand's.
    As far as the mounts are concerned it is very common tho find an authentic mount married to a G/K43 as it is in your case. I carefully looked at the serial number and the placement of the Walther 359 waffen amt and it looks right to me but it it's hard to say with 100% accuracy unless it is seen in person under a 10X loop. But I'd say I am 99% sure it is a correct authentic mount with a correctly stamped serial number that would have been issued with a Walther G/K43.
    I can't say for certain but I would be surprised if mounts that were issued with different G/K43's weren't placed on other ones as the war took it's toll on both rifles scopes and mounts. In my 30 years of looking at G/K43 I have seen only 4, and they were in collections, that had genuine matching rilles and mounts. The scopes were never mated to the mounts or rifles.
    How are the optics on your G43? Consider yourself fortunate if they are clear as most I have seen are somewhat cloudy. Another thing to look for is the rare of the receiver. G/K43's are over gassed and if they were fired a lot beat up the rear of the receiver so take a look at that. I do not shoot my AC 45 K43 any longer as parts breakage has been somewhat of a problem in the G/K43's and finding genuine parts is becoming difficult. There is a guy who goes by the moniker of Aplelfor who make a kit to reduce the over gassing of the G43 if you are interested. Even if I did find a part I would not have a matching rifle any longer.
    In closing I hope I have answered your questions. I strongly urge you to get a copy of "Hitler's Garand" it has a treasure trove of info on the G/K43 as well as the G41M and G41W.
    This has been a great help and why I love this forum. THANKS!

I can take more close up pics of the WaffenAmpt if you like (put the loupe on the cell phone lens...it works usually).

I have never shot either of my G43's for the same reason you note. Also the optics in my rifle are clear as day.

Will take a closer look at the receiver as well to check on how beat up it is.

I will also go out and buy the book. Thanks for the tip.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

It's not the Waffen amt that is usually forged it's the serial number. Even if you used a 10X loop and a cell phone the resolution needed would be lost. I wouldn't be concerned about it your serial number is not electro penciled of that I am 99% sure, rest at ease. Glad to here your optics are clear as I said many are not.
    The serial number engraving process used by the Germans was done by a Pantograph whatever that is. I checked my sources including Hitlers Garand and can't find a picture or mention of a front sight cover like yours but will continue checking.
    Last edited by samnev; 04-19-2014 at 05:23 PM.

MAP
    ?

Samnev,

Thanks for all the help!

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Michael, glad I could help out a bit. Sam

Very nice rifle

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

MAP
    ?

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    Very nice rifle

John
    Thanks John,

This and my M1 paratrooper are probably the jewels but I do have quite of few other really nice ones.

Michael

?

G/K43 snipers if they are 100% correct would have the scope mount maker waffen amt the same as the rifle makers and rifle serial number on the scope would be the same as the rifles and were issued that way when accepted into service. However G/K43's in that condition are VERY RARE. Most have mismatched scope mounts. Some mounts were never issued and had no serial numbers. Forgers have electro penciled the serial number on the mounts to sell them as 100% matching. The correct German serial numbers stampings look like they are electro penciled but are not careful examination next to a correctly serialized mount ail expose the forgery.
    If that is not bad enough there are some very good repro mounts that can fool a person who is not intimately familiar with the G/K43. By the way I haven't seen that type of sight cover i'll have to look at my reference books. Not saying it's incorrect I just don't remember seeing that type.
    I refer you to the Collector Grade publication "Hitler's Garand" to verify what I have posted. It's a must have publication for any owner or person wanting a G/K43. I hope this helps.
    German weapons of any kind are being regularly forged so one must be especially careful when purchasing one whether it be a 98K, Sniper of any kind, Luger, G41/43 or any other Nazi marked weapon. There are many forgeries out their. it has gotten to the point here in the US that most of the Nazi weapons I see for sale are humped in one way or another. Remember buy the gun not the story.
    i reread my above post and I misspoke as far as I can determine the scope serial numbers never were matched to the G/K 43's only the mounts. I must have been having a senior moment when I first posted the above.

MAP
    ?

i reread my above post and I misspoke as far as I can determine the scope serial numbers never were matched to the G/K 43's only the mounts. I must have been having a senior moment when I first posted the above.
    Thanks for the clarification. We all have our "moments"

I've read , can't remember where , the the mounts were only serialized in the field when a rifle went in for repairs. Have you heard this before. Could be incorrect info, but just wanted to see if you have heard this.

Regards

Michael

?

No I haven't heard that. It makes more sense to me that the mount was serialized to the gun when produced and the rifle zeroed most likely at the factory. But it could have very well been done when the rifle reached the troops and the most accurate ones selected as snipers. I don't know at what level the Pantograph (the machine used to put the serial number on) would be available to put the serial number on the mount.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Samnev,

Great information. Thanks for all the information!!

Regards

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast