Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

G98 Carbine 1903 research and restore

Article about: I have a 1903 Mauser 98 rifle. It has matching serial numbers on the receiver and barrel. It is a great weapon specimen. But I am having difficulty finding any specific information on this s

mikewg98
    ?

Default G98 Carbine 1903 research and restore

I have a 1903 Mauser 98 rifle. It has matching serial numbers on the receiver and barrel. It is a great weapon specimen. But I am having difficulty finding any specific information on this style. The barrel and the forend both end flush with at the end. There is no bayonet lug but it is 108 cm long leading me to believe it was a calvary or mountaineering unit carbine. Could anyone give some advice on this, also is has some paint on it that is clearly not original. What would be the best way to remove it without compromising the histories integrity or damaging it?

?

Default Re: G98 Carbine 1903 research and restore

Can you post a picture of it,it may have been sporterized.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Sounds like a 1st Pattern 98 Kar carbine-as was usual for cav carbines at the time it has no provision for a bayo-cavalry had swords or lances for hand to hand combat-does it have a flattened bolt knob-again ccs were made with smooth lines for getting in and out of saddle buckets easily. As stated though, need pics to confirm...

Mike, I am with lithgow on this one.....but photographs will confirm one way or the other, carbine or as zwerge states "sporterized".
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by mikewg98 View Post
    also is has some paint on it that is clearly not original. What would be the best way to remove it without compromising the histories integrity or damaging it?
    The paint is part of it's history, remove it and you remove the histories integrity.

Let's wait and see what the photos and the paint look like.

If it's a workbench spill or specks from painting a wall,
    or a DP - Drill Purpose weapon - pics will tell if
    there is any history to be saved.........
    Regards,

Steve.

No matter where the paint came from it's still a visible part of it's history.

?

Qwll being the germans were not in the habit of painting their weapons any post hrt,sm use modifications detract from value. Have encountered many rifles painted up b importers as an expediant to dell and no shortage of bubbas that love to paint their stuff. I could care less about "bubba's paintbrush history".

Indeed, I suspect the history and integrity of the piece that he wants to save
    would be the original finish, not the incorrect, post-war/recent stuff on it
    that we cannot see as yet - Where are the photos, Mike.........?
    Regards,

Steve.