Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Gebergsjager with Sten gun

Article about: One always has to be careful when viewing video footage. Often film gets used which is totally out of context to what is being desribed on the narration. I once watched one documentary about

Default Re: Gebergsjager with Sten gun

One always has to be careful when viewing video footage. Often film gets used which is totally out of context to what is being desribed on the narration.

I once watched one documentary about Dunkirk: I never realised that the Russians got in on the act using Sturmoviks against British troops!

Cheers, Ade.

Just for reference, the Mk2 copy is known as the Potsdam Gerat 1944 to 45, and the vertical mag version is the MP3008 from lat 1944 ( I think).

There were a number of forum members intrested in the STEN mk1 a while back, would any one like to see some detailed photos?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    ..... would any one like to see some detailed photos?
    Yes, I would like.

Adrian-the film in question was wartime German made propaganda-while it is possible that the footage in question may not have been exactly what the German narration said it was (faked in the Alps rather than on the Caucasus front for convenience say), it was made late 1942/very early 1943 and the footage would therefore be contemporary. It is a problem as you said that many later documentaries use film from anywhere and time- the best documentary I have seen as far as getting the footage correct to both time and place for WW2 was Ken Burn's "The War" (although that mainly concerned US involvement).

I'll post photos in a new thread so as not to hi-jack this thread.

?

The partisans in yugoslavia were airdropped loads of STENs. Close enough to be carried by german units into russia no ?.

Quote by gew98 View Post
    The partisans in yugoslavia were airdropped loads of STENs. Close enough to be carried by german units into russia no ?.
    Correct, and a possible origin.

Cheers, Ade.

Otto Skorzeny (I think that's the spelling) was the commander of the airborne forces and a very clever man. He captured codes from underground and partisan forces and used them to order special equipment drops from the RAF. Including Sten Mk 6 which he demonstrated to his commanders before the silenced weapons program had been completed in Germany. As was stated, many air drops were overrun and captured by the Wermacht and these weapons held for future reference. I can tell you personally of the enormous interest troops hold with foreign weapons and many are dying to carry something other than their issue. But as Ade states, the footage could easily be out of context.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2