Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Geco Beretta M1934 Pistol

Article about: Sorry, but the folks that think that PS is a police marking are wrong. Ask them what are the other markings like DR, AB, ... etc, etc. Sorry but I can't reply to your question: my books don'

?

Default Geco Beretta M1934 Pistol

Hi all,
    Here are some pics of a Beretta I snagged at a gunshow yesterday. It's a M1934 ,in .380, made in 1940 and bearing commercial proofmarks rather than military. It was sold by Beretta to the German firm of Gunter Genschow where it was stamped with their "Geco" logo and marketed through their stores in Germany. It's hard to find wartime commercial Berettas and even harder to find them marked by foreign retailers.

Len

Geco Beretta M1934 PistolGeco Beretta M1934 PistolGeco Beretta M1934 PistolGeco Beretta M1934 Pistol

Default Re: Geco Beretta M1934 Pistol

Hi Len, welcome to the forum!

A great pistol and I did not realise these were sold commercially during the war.

Cheers, Ade.

Hello Len,
    Actually the Model 1934 is a common Beretta as it was made in large numbers for the Italian Army.
    Military weapons were marked RE (Army), RA (Air Force), RM (Navy) and PS for the Police model.
    There was a small number sold commercially however. They have black plastic grips not wood so I
    think you've got it on the money.

That's a sweet looking piece. Well taken care of.

Enjoy, Rudy

Either way that baby looks mint
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    Hello Len,

Military weapons were marked RE (Army), RA (Air Force), RM (Navy) and PS for the Police model.
    ......... They have black plastic grips not wood ........
    Beretta '34 was never marked PS, that is not the mark of the "Pubblica Sicurezza" but an inspector mark that was applied only to models 1915/17 and 1922.

I can't see wood grips but only normal plastic grips

Sorry we got a few things crossed. I said they were plastic so most likely a private purchase.
    As far as the rest of what I wrote it was according to "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Fire Arms".

Do not misquote me please.

Many thanks,
    Rudolf
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

OK, I will not misquote you....

But also if something is wrote in great book this don't means that is right: many writers wrote that PS, DR, AB,.... are property marking for Pubblica Sicurezza (Police), Dogana Reale (that don't exist) and so on.... but these are only inspector marking, not property marking.

Hey it's all fine by me and I'm not going to step all over the mans thread.

Bottom line is he has a very nice, in period hand gun and personally I'd like to own
    one in that condition.

Respectfully,
    Rudolf
    Frank Zappa

Superb weapon and really interesting information concerning the PS stamp.
    Regards, Thanos.

Something about this gun. During 1940-41 about 3000 ot these '34 and '35 were sold through commercial channels to Ge.co and all bear commercial markings of Gardone proof house, so this is a rare model, compared to the about 1.700.000 produced.

?

Thanks for your comments fellas. Kanister, your info on the PS marking is welcome. Most folks on this side of the pond think it IS a police marking. Thanks also for the production numbers. I knew there were only a few sold to Geco but never knew the exact number. Is the ratio of Geco '34's vs '35's known? Just based on personal observations '35's seem to predominate in the wartime commercial pistols (both Geco & non).

Best regards,
    Len

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast