Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Georgian period cannon

Article about: Another of my 'finds' at Liverpool arms fair last Sunday. Again, I didn't really know where to post this - so apologies if it is in the wrong forum section. The cannon is a working model wit

Default Georgian period cannon

Another of my 'finds' at Liverpool arms fair last Sunday. Again, I didn't really know where to post this - so apologies if it is in the wrong forum section.

The cannon is a working model with a barrel length of almost six inches. At first I thought that it may have been intended as a child's toy, and it wasn't until I got it home and examined it more closely that I realised how old it actually was. On both sides of the wooden carriage is stamped the crown of King George 111. The barrel is also stamped in the same fashion. I doubt very much if it was meant as a toy. Perhaps a tester for the combustibility of powder? I know I am probably clutching at straws with that theory though! Click on pictures to enlarge.

Georgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannonGeorgian period cannon

?

Great find. I am envious!!!!!!!!

A signal canon?...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    A signal canon?...
    I would think far too small for that!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I would think far too small for that!
    What size is it mate?...
    Ah gotcha it would be a bit small, the smallest i've seen described as a signal canon is about a foot long!...

That's a fantastic piece mate!

great looking Cannon Steve. Wish I had one in my war room. Oh!! thats right, I have no more room.

John

- - ------- - -

great looking Cannon Steve. Wish I had one in my war room. Oh!! thats right, I have no more room.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

nice piece.

Again, possibly a ceremonial piece for an officers' mess or ship-starting gun for races or similar.

The barrel is barely six inches long! Starting cannons are usually much bigger! Although I do agree that it could be a ceremonial piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast