Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German MG .08/15 ( Original not replica )

Article about: Hello This is my 1st post on the forum, and a couple of questions to start off. The German WW1 machine gun MG .08 / 15, are the original weapons hard to find these days? And what price do th

martyn c
    ?

Default German MG .08/15 ( Original not replica )

Hello

This is my 1st post on the forum, and a couple of questions to start off.

The German WW1 machine gun MG .08 / 15, are the original weapons hard to find these days? And what price do they hold on the collectors market?

I've also put this thread in the German WW1 section as I did'nt know as to were it would be better suited

Martyn

TRT
    ?

Default Re: German MG .08/15 ( Original not replica )

Where in the world are you?

A superb one recently sold on a web site for a shade under £5,000. They do turn up every now and again. Keep checking some of the well known web based dealers in the UK.

I paid £3,200 several years ago for mine. Came with bipod and trommel drum. A 1918 version in top condition made by DWM.

Regards

TRT

Guys,

Got these this week end, one dated 1917 the other is Riebert 1933. Some good pics and schematics in them.

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German MG .08/15 ( Original not replica )   German MG .08/15 ( Original not replica )  

German MG .08/15 ( Original not replica )  

welcome to the forum, and good luck with finding one

If I see one I'll let you know

Thanks

Danny

partisan42
    ?

As I am new to this forum as well, I will use my first post to respond to your first post.

If you are in the United States, J.C. Devine Auctions has a 1917 dated Spandau 08/15 coming up in their next sale on October 11th. If you would like I can scan and post the catalog page.

From my experience, the slower firing earlier guns like the 08/15 have less interest than the faster, sexier WWII models like the MG42. They consequently come at a lower price as well.

TRT
    ?

Martyn,

Have replied to your pm.

Jock, nice manuals. I picked up a nice 1918 dated British pamplet on the MG 08/15.

Matt, I assume you are talking about live firers? In the UK the opposite is true a de activated MG 42 or 34 is £800 or so compared to £4000 odd for a WW1 weapon.

The MG 08/15 was acumbersome beast and designed as a poor tactical substitute for the Lewis. Nevertheles it was the most common WW1 German MG and substantially influenced their tactics. When one reads of MG fire in 1918 it usually refers to 08/15 guns.

Regards all.

TRT

TRT,

Did we issue pams on captured arms, or did we have them too somewhere on the inventory?

I thought all we had was Vickers and Lewis in the first war.

Jock

?

Martyn please contact me on mark.finneran@hotmail.co.uk ref MG08/15. There are some pitfalls and duplicate accessories floating around.
    Thanks
    Mark

Hello-Jock Auld-no the German weapons weren't issue for Allied forces as such but by late in the war it was realised that assault troops were likely to capture and then have to use enemy weapons against the counter attacks that formed a large part of the 'back and forth' of trench warfare-thus manuals on German weapons-British forces were issued with other types as well as the Lewis and Vickers MGs-early on original Maxim guns in both .45 and .303 and Hotchkiss LMGs were used first as cavalry support weapons and then in tanks-the Germans did use captured Lewis guns as equipment for their Sturmtruppen due to the more unwieldy nature of their own guns for the mobile role-and in WW2 after the Japanese attacked in the Pacific in 1942 some 2,500 captured war trophy ex German MGs were collected from war memorials here in Australia, refitted and converted to .303 and issued to the Australian Homeguard in case of invasion.

?

You don't say whether you are in the USA or not. If so, you are no doubt aware of the federal (and sometimes state) legal requirements for purchasing a fully automatic weapon. If that's what you want, I hope you have deep enough pockets. Look at the website of International Military Antiquities, they sometimes have various DEWATs for sale. I seem to remember they had a DEWAT MG08 for sale several months ago. I don't remember the price, but it was over $10K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast