Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

Article about: After removal of rust to metal parts I would use a simple silicone cloth sold in any gun or hardware store to prevent future rust. Have used one for years on my guns and have been very satis

Default Re: German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

Thats a fine rifle at a great price, I have been looking for a matching bring back K98 myself. As others have said your rifle looks like it will clean up well. Cheers, Robert

?

Dont use steel wool.
    First use a lightly oiled cloth and then proceed from there.
    I have seen an antique rifle which looked as bad but it was only cosmetic/surface rust.
    An oily cloth and then maybe MAYBE somethng a bit more abrasive, but there is a long way to steel wool from that.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Dont use steel wool.
    First use a lightly oiled cloth and then proceed from there.
    I have seen an antique rifle which looked as bad but it was only cosmetic/surface rust.
    An oily cloth and then maybe MAYBE somethng a bit more abrasive, but there is a long way to steel wool from that.
    I mean absolutely no disrespect, but are you familiar with 0000 steel wool? I thought everyone was crazy for telling me to use it... until I saw it and finally agreed to try it on my Type 38 Arisaka! The stuff has the consistancy of cotton candy!
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 04-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.

?

I certainly do not view that as disrespect
    I can only relate what I have seen to be working ....and not to be working.
    Some guns look horrible but often its only surface rust to be removed with an oiled cloth, if worse then maybe one of those kitchen rough pads (Brillo pads?) and rough spots sometimes removed with a small patch made of brass (which does not scratch as bad as steel wool). Then one can go from there up to slightly rougher stuff, but I have seen some horrible results from people having a go at 'restoring' guns with coarse steel wool. I mean really busted up scratched beyond reqognition bad.
    At some point (really rusted guns) it really is better to leave it to a competent gunsmith.

I would agree, some brass or bronze wool would probably be the safer choice to use as an abrasive to tackle this rust.

If possible, Nick should do the project himself! It will be a great way for him to become familiar with his new rifle and knowing that he put hard work into it will make it more special, especially when he is able to fire it again!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I would agree, some brass or bronze wool would probably be the safer choice to use as an abrasive to tackle this rust.

If possible, Nick should do the project himself! It will be a great way for him to become familiar with his new rifle and knowing that he put hard work into it will make it more special, especially when he is able to fire it again!
    Try 3m scotchbrite - green stock i use it in my toolmaking work and being plastic based is very 'subtle' in removing oxidation.

Hi Nick,

I just noticed... it looks like your rifle is missing it's front sight hood.

German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

As joe said 0000 steel wool should not hurt it, just be sure to use pleanty of oil and be easy. I have cleaned a few guns that way and it hurt none of them. I have had some that look worse than yous turn out retaining most of their original finish. Cheers, Robert

I agree with all of the comments above. Go ahead and try a cloth and lot's of oil first if you wish. It will take some of it off. If the result is good for you then you are done. Whatever method you use the key is to take your time and be gentle. As joe said don't put pressure, let the cloth, 0000 or whatever you use do the work. I have used 0000 steel wool on plenty of guns with exellent results. By the way, if you blue a gun at home that is how you get the blue to turn dark, by using steel wool after rinsing the bluing off with cold water.

Good luck with your project.

Burt

Hi,
    Great find you have it will turn out just fine, with a little TLC, i also have used 0000 wool and done no damage to my rifles. but it,s your call.
    Dave.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast