Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

Article about: After removal of rust to metal parts I would use a simple silicone cloth sold in any gun or hardware store to prevent future rust. Have used one for years on my guns and have been very satis

?

Default Re: German ww2 k98 mauser!!!!!!

The below old Remington rolling block carbine looked horrible when I got it.
    It had been in the same family for many decades and nobody had cared for it at all.
    I thought it was too far gone to even look halfway like a rifle again.
    It was coated in rust and the barrel was plugged by dirt.
    I thought the barrel ruined outside and inside.
    I wish I had taken a 'before' pic, because its hard to credit now, how bad the Remington looked.
    But lo and behold, an oily rag removed the mostly cosmetic/surface rust though it was obvious, that there had never been any oil applied to the metal.
    A few small rust spots had bitten into the metal and those was gently removed with a small brass patch, when it was obvious, that a Brillo Pad (same as a ScotchBrite Pad) would not do the trick.
    What was left was an even mellow dark finish on the barrel. It looks surprisingly good and is in fine condition, considering it having been covered with surface rust.
    When I looked through the barrel, I feared the worst. It was literally plugged solid with what I thought was rust and one could not see daylight through the barrel. When I say plugged, I mean PLUGGED!
    It turned out, that the Remington had spent its days in a closet and in various corners barrel up having thus accumulated decades of dust. This was literally one long snake-like piece of dirt and dust, which poppped out, when I ran a cleaning rod through the barrel.
    After having cleaned it with Break-Free, I looked through the barrel expecting it to be badly corroded and damaged from corrosive primers, decades of neglect, and moisture.
    I was flabbergasted, when it turned out, that the barrel lands and grooves were knife sharp and in factory mint condition!
    The rifling was and is literally gleaming as if it was polished yesterday at the factory.
    I have no doubt, that it has never been fired. This ties in well with what <i understood from the family in whose 'care' it had been for many years.
    I have seen many of these rolling block rifles and carbines and this one is the only one having the insides of the barrel looking polished and gleaming new. Some may look even better when viewed from the outside, but I few (if any at all) are unfired and have factory fresh barrels.

Hi Scout,
    What a lovey old rifle i love those the older the better for me, and a great job on the restoration well done, and thanks for showing it.
    Dave.

?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I mean absolutely no disrespect, but are you familiar with 0000 steel wool? I thought everyone was crazy for telling me to use it... until I saw it and finally agreed to try it on my Type 38 Arisaka! The stuff has the consistancy of cotton candy!
    I have used 0000 steel wool and GI clp for years to restore weapons. But as every one else has said go very lightly

Scout, I love the rolling block. It a fine looking rifle. Cheers,Robert

Thanks for all the tips and nice gun! Do you think I should use WD40 or Birchwood casey gun scrubber? - Nick K

WD40 NO!! Use Hoppes #9 or CLP and don't go cheap on the oil when you're using it. Oil's cheap, guns are not. WD40 is good for a lot of things but not for guns. Please post a few pictures when you're done.

Burt

Just want to remind you to check out Gun Boards Forum. Click on Mauser98k threads and you will gain a wealth of knowledge. Many will be shocked that you scored this Mauser for that money even if rusty. It should cleanup with enough patience and the correct rust remover. Good luck

That's a wonderful K98, by a nice maker too. I have a CE42.

Ok so here is my gameplan, Im going to take birchwood casey gun scrubber and put it on a piece of cloth and lightly scrub all metal parts, for tight corners I will use either a toothbrush or Q tip. If that doesnt work then Ill use a brillo pad and try to clean it gently. Then my father will clean the barrel for me. After that I will take warm water and another piece of cloth and clean the stock. Also should I put on rust preventive? Also any other tips? - Nick K

Quote by nkumburis View Post
    Ok so here is my gameplan, Im going to take birchwood casey gun scrubber and put it on a piece of cloth and lightly scrub all metal parts, for tight corners I will use either a toothbrush or Q tip. If that doesnt work then Ill use a brillo pad and try to clean it gently. Then my father will clean the barrel for me. After that I will take warm water and another piece of cloth and clean the stock. Also should I put on rust preventive? Also any other tips? - Nick K
    Your run-of-the-mill brillo pad is course steel wool and will harm your rifle. Be careful what you use!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast