Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

german ww2 revolvers

Article about: Hi All i have been collecting deac pistols for a about a year now and it is easy to pick up german auto pistols if not very expensive. My question is the germans seem to have used any weapon

Default german ww2 revolvers

Hi All
    i have been collecting deac pistols for a about a year now and it is easy to pick up german auto pistols if not very expensive.
    My question is the germans seem to have used any weapons that they came into contact with that were any good. but did they ever use revolvers?
    and if they did what did they use or did they dislike the poor old revolver and why.
    hope this is not a supid question.
    Andy

Default Re: german ww2 revolvers

Hi Andy,
    Reichsmarshal Hermann Goering carried a Smith & Wesson M&P revolver.
    Cheers,
    Jason

dogdog47, Model 1879, and later Model 1883 Reichsrevolvers were used throughout the Imperial German Army during WW1, there are rumours that they were issued to Volksturm in WW2 but this has never been substantiated. I have an 83' model, absolutely gorgeous weapon, its not a deac, you can legally own here in the U.K. as it uses obselete ammunition. available for around £500.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture german ww2 revolvers  

oradour
    Thats a really really nice pistol i will have to keep my eyes open for one of those. I use those stands also they work well for revolvers.
    Do you think the Germans in ww2 were more in favour of autos and semi autos rarther than revolvers? was there that much thought put to it or is it just the way they went?
    when they overrun most europe they seem to have used most wepons they came across with maybe a change to 9mm. i am suprised that they didnt do the same with revolvers they must have captured large quanties but not seem to have issued any.
    Andy

dogdog47, the Reichsrevolvers were single action (there was a rare double action version) and reloading involved stripping out the cylinder !....technology led the way, and natural progression to auto/semi auto handguns was well under way by the start of WW1, and the standerd pistol became the parabellum PO8, the Luger. A variety of private purchase auto pistols were available during this time. So you are correct with your assumption the revolvers after 1918 were not issued in any large quanities if at all.

By the way the Reishsrevolver was 10.6mm !

Amazing really when you think we Brits went through with the .38 Webley, Enfield and the S&W I know we had the odd .45 cal 1911 and the odd 9mm Browning Highpower.
    it just seems strange with all the revolvers that must have been captured that they have played little or no part?

From a collecting point of view I like revolvers as a deac as they do a little more and find autos, especialy German, very expensive.
    Andy

This is a very interesting thread, Handguns were apparently considered secondary, last ditch or badges of authority depending on which army the soldier was serving in. Revolver can be just as good and in some cases better than an auto. For example, if a person is 25% the speed of this guy they are still VERY FAST. YouTube - JERRY MICULIK FASTEST REVOLVER SHOOTER IN THE WORLD IPSC

Mike

Given the fact that the TR government required all male civil servants to be armed with a pistol from 1942 on, I am sure a great many revolvers saw service during the 2nd war. Here is a US Army photo of captured hand guns taken in Norway. Several revolvers can be seen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture german ww2 revolvers  

Hi very interesting pick.
    I too am sure that revolvers must have been used there just seems to be little information out there.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast