Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German ww2 Shell Case ?

Article about: Hello, just got back from a week visiting the dday landing beaches in Normandy. Had a very good week visiting areas around Omaha beach. In a small general items shop i came accross this shel

?

Default German ww2 Shell Case ?

Hello, just got back from a week visiting the dday landing beaches in Normandy. Had a very good week visiting areas around Omaha beach. In a small general items shop i came accross this shell case. It appears to be a german 105mm howitzer shell case, please can anyone confirm this? Also it carries the scars of battle damage! There are 2 bullet/shrapnel holes, and an indent that appears to be from a glancing bullet!
    Thanks Jimbo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German ww2 Shell Case ?   German ww2 Shell Case ?  

?

Default Re: German ww2 Shell Case ?

Yes, it looks like a case for 10,5 cm le.FH 18.
    Base should be 125 mm in diameter.
    Caselength: 155 mm

Any markings visible on the base ?

Jimbo

Give the base a good going over with a stiff wire brush (or a wire brush attachment on a drill) and then a clean with a Brillo pad. That should enable you to read the markings on the base which will then lead to a positive ID !

Cheers

Steve T

?

I would only use a wirebrush as long as the brush is made out of copper wire.
    Steel wire is much harder the brass of the shellcase.
    The markings on german shellcases can be quit faint and using a hard brush can damage them forever.