Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German WWII GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle

Article about: This is one of my long time favorite weapons in my collection.. So here is some information on the weapon.........This is a grenade throwing rifle thus the name (Granatbuchse) GrB39.. It is

GGG
    ?

Smile Re: German WWII GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle

Hello Bill,
    very nice weapon! I have the same in my collection.
    Rifle grenades and launchers are my main interest of collecting.

I just want to add that the was only ONE type of rifle grenade allowed to use with the GrB39: The "Große Gewehr-Panzergranate mit verbessertem Drallschaft" (Big rifle-anti-tank-grenade with stronger stem). The launching cartridge 318 was too powerfull for the standard big AT-grenade!!
    All other grenades could explode in the launcher-tube.

I have attached some pics of mine.

With best wishes
    Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German WWII GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle   German WWII GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle  

Suber
    ?

Default Re: German WWII GrB39 Grenade Throwing Rifle

That is a beautiful rifle Bill! I wonder how practical, and how often these were actually deployed under the heat of battle. It looks like it would have been rather cumbersome to carry and to have the necessary parts to fire it. I am sure that there were specialized troops that trained and utilized this set up.

OH.....now THAT is AWESOME !

Thanks for sharing.....I am tempted to print some of those pictures off !

Steve T

?

now that is a serious piece of kit very nice thanks for the pics

Quote by GGG View Post
    Hello Bill,
    very nice weapon! I have the same in my collection.
    Rifle grenades and launchers are my main interest of collecting.

I just want to add that the was only ONE type of rifle grenade allowed to use with the GrB39: The "Große Gewehr-Panzergranate mit verbessertem Drallschaft" (Big rifle-anti-tank-grenade with stronger stem). The launching cartridge 318 was too powerfull for the standard big AT-grenade!!
    All other grenades could explode in the launcher-tube.

I have attached some pics of mine.

With best wishes
    Michael
    Awesome weapon, as well as the related material. It highlights the weapon much better.

What is the welding on the bipod leg? is it a field modification to enlarge it?

Regards,

Gus

JWilly48519
    ?

Quote by GGG View Post
    Regarding power of launching cartridges, I'm under the impression that there was one standard launching cartridge for all of the original 30mm-system grenades, and that the subsequent grenade designs...the Gross (sometimes described as "40mm") as shown with the readily identifiable reverse body angle, and later the SS weapons bureau's 46mm and 61mm with the step-out bodies...each were designed for, and delivered tape-banded with, their own individually matched cartridges.

It of course was important to not use too powerful a cartridge with a grenade type, but it was equally important not to use too weak a cartridge because it would result in a short shot and a miss, plus possible harm to friendlies or the shooter himself.

Regarding the SS weapons bureau's 46mm and 61mm HEAT grenades, AFAIK the SS did use the GrB39. Regarding the "only ONE type of rifle grenade" statement, were SS units to which 46mm or 61mm HEAT grenades had been issued, forbidden to fire them (using the type-specific cartridges, of course) from their GrB39s? I had previously been under the impression that the ruggedly built PzB39 was the preferred launcher for the large and heavy 61mm, at least, because of the extreme firing force involved.

Am I the only one who reads "Scheissbecher" ;o)

Jean

GGG
    ?

Quote by JWilly48519 View Post
    Regarding the SS weapons bureau's 46mm and 61mm HEAT grenades, AFAIK the SS did use the GrB39. Regarding the "only ONE type of rifle grenade" statement, were SS units to which 46mm or 61mm HEAT grenades had been issued, forbidden to fire them (using the type-specific cartridges, of course) from their GrB39s? I had previously been under the impression that the ruggedly built PzB39 was the preferred launcher for the large and heavy 61mm, at least, because of the extreme firing force involved.

Well, the GrB39 was developed for the "Grosse Gewehr-Panzergranate with strengthened stem". The launching cartridge was the "Treibpatrone 318 zur gr.G.Pzgr." with a powder weight of 3,3 gram. In all manuals and documents is written, that it was forbidden to use any other grenades. But since these manuals and documents have been written before the SS had developed their rifle grenades, there was no chance to bear them in mind at that point of time.

I have never found any document that mentions the SS-rifle grenades in the context of the GrB39. For shooting the SS-grenades with the GrB39, you would have needed a more powerful cartridge and/or a new sight. The inner frame of the sight could be changed, but only one typ is known yet.

So it's unknown if the grenade would have "survived" the power of the GrB39-blast, but at least it's possible.

Best wishes
    Michael

GGG
    ?

Quote by guscanoesp View Post
    What is the welding on the bipod leg? is it a field modification to enlarge it?
    Regards,
    Gus
    The bipod was the one used on the Panzerbüchse (anti-tank rifle). For use in the GrB39 the legs were cut in two parts and welded together again, putting an overlapping U-type piece of sheet metal in the gap.

How much does a toy like that go for?? Looks like tons of fun if you can find ammo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast