Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K

Article about: I've seen some nice old rifles posted lately, so thought I would share an old one I picked up some years back. I believe this 1915 Mauser is an Armory refit given what little I know about it

?

Default Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K

I've seen some nice old rifles posted lately, so thought I would share an old one I picked up some years back. I believe this 1915 Mauser is an Armory refit given what little I know about it. Has the S/42K on the barrel receiver area and the back sight is more the K98 type. Rifle is not matching numbers, but I got it for a good price and it shoots well.
    Cheers.

Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K   Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K  

Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K   Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K  

nice rifle.

?

Thanks Harry. Anyone know if the 'A' stamp on the stock is an armory rework mark?

?

OK, one more try. I have since read that S/42 rifles are Oberdorf Mauser rifles. I picked this up as I liked the wood, and I had seen this type of rifle in an old pic - example here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gew 98 - Danzig 1915 - S/42K  

?

Reopening this thread to see if perhaps the timing may be better; any transitional Mauser guys out there - info would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Jeff

?

Jeff...Larry C and Bill Grist would be the ones who can assist in getting the thread maybe some more traction. I am too new to the forum to know. I would ask them? Sorry. Not much help yet. Trying to learn each day where all the bones are buried. Everyone is really helpful
    Quote by weller View Post
    Reopening this thread to see if perhaps the timing may be better; any transitional Mauser guys out there - info would be appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Jeff
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

I won't be of any help, but I can see why you
    liked it - The stock is beautiful........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Jeff this is a lovely WW1 Mauser who seen it all!!
    Original made in the Danzig factory under Kaiser Wilhelm it had a rework at the Mauser Oberdolf Factory and been handed out to the WW2 troops!
    If this one could talk
    Condition is lovely and tons of History on this one.
    some info:
    Pre war makers: Erfurt; Danzig; Spandau; Amberg; Mauser Oberndorf; DWM
    Wartime makers: JP Sauer; VC Schilling; Simson; CG Haenel; Oberspree Kornbusch/Oberpree.

They kick like a mule when fired

Regards,
    Ger

?

Many thanks Ger for the information; yes if only this rifle could talk! This is an old gunbroker.com purchase I've had for some years. I liked the wood especially, and did not have a Danzig maker Gew 98. I have a few more old Gew 98s sitting around and will get some pics and post another time. Yes, I've taken this rifle to the range a few times and it does have a nice kick!

Jeff

The "K" is a date code for 1934 - assuming they follow the same system as bayonets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast