Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Got the M1 "Ping" Itch

Article about: I just saw that CMP listed Service Grade Springfield Armory M1 Garands for sale again. I've been talking about buying one for years...so I will mail in my order tomorrow. Wait time is shown

?

Default Got the M1 "Ping" Itch

I just saw that CMP listed Service Grade Springfield Armory M1 Garands for sale again. I've been talking about buying one for years...so I will mail in my order tomorrow. Wait time is shown as 120 to 180 days so it's going to be a while before I can post pics. But, by next summer, I'll be listening to that ping as my Garand ejects that enbloc.

Is it a lottery process for getting one? I assume the price is substantial...

Very nice, Mark! I'm excited to see what you get!!

Surely this can't be your first Garand!?

I received mine this time last year... Wait time was 21 days!

Got the M1 "Ping" Itch

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Is it a lottery process for getting one? I assume the price is substantial...
    The CMP is an organization put together to increase firearms safety/ knowledge/ marksmanship among U.S. citizens. They acquire obsolete surplus weapons from Greece, Israel, South Korea, etc. then refurbish them and resell mail-order to those who qualify. In order to qualify, you must be a member of a gun club or other CMP affiliated organization, take part in a shooting competition and/or prove you know how to handle firearms safely. The CMP sells rifles for MUCH lower than retail. I bought mine for $650 and one in similar condition would easily sell for $1,000+ retail!

The issue is, because of recent events (school shootings, government bans on certain types of guns, bans on importation of military surplus rifles, etc.), the CMP has received an influx of orders and it takes a long time for them to fulfill them.

?

Joe is right on - there is no lottery, you just have to meet the qualifications for them to sell you a rifle, submit the proper order forms/documentation, pay your money and wait. The current price for a Service Grade Springfield Armory M1 Garand is $625 + $25 shipping.

This is my second Garand, Joe. I bought my first from Tony Pucci at Orion 7, and bought a CMP Garand that I gave to my son out of the first influx of Greek returns. So, this will be the first one from CMP that will stay with me.

I'm still looking for the one my Dad carried at Parris Island in 1946 - SA 2860035.

Very nice, Mark!

It couldn't hurt to have the CMP check their stock for your father's rifle! There was a gentleman who did that exact thing on another forum and it just so happened that the CMP had it! It never hurts to ask!!

I also highly recommend you attach a sticky note on your paperwork with exactly what you're looking for. I asked for a WWII dated receiver and they sent me a beauty... It has tons of WWII parts( it was rebarreled in the 50s) and the rear sight has lock bars!!

?

Done and done, Joe. They have actually checked their records 3 times over the past 8 years - I request it from time to time as they receive new batches of rifles. I also have used the sticky note process for several of my M1 Carbnes - and there is a note on my Garand order form asking for a WWII rifle with a 2 mil SN. We'll see how it works out!

The service grade rifles are the best bang for the buck, in my opinion. The M1D for $1500.00 is a real good value. I bought one 2 years ago and it is a beauty! When I fill out an order I can't get just one. I have scored some WWII serial numbered receivers in my last couple orders. The only thing I do to them is clean and oil the metal and put a coat of my favorite finish on the wood, or get a new walnut CMP stock set for $149.00, a new sling from Pacific Canvas and Leather, and a heavy duty clip latch spring from Fulton Armory. Load and GO!

U D

?

There is nothing like a satisfying PING after 8 punches to the shoulder. I love M1 Garands.
    Has anybody here shot in the CMP games in the Garand Match's??
    I have been shooting in them for the past 5 years. You get to meet some great people there.
    Got the M1 "Ping" Itch

Semper Fi
    Phil