Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gr B 39

Article about: This is a new addition to the collection.I would love to find a PZB 39 to complement it.

speiss 2002
    ?

Default Gr B 39

This is a new addition to the collection.I would love to find a PZB 39 to complement it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39 

Johnnie
    ?

Default Re: Gr B 39

Looks to be in good shape too! Is it live or deact?

Johnnie

Grutte Pier
    ?

Question Re: Gr B 39

Quote by speiss 2002 View Post
    This is a new addition to the collection.I would love to find a PZB 39 to complement it.
    Beautiful and rare item, thanks for sharing. Does somebody know if they still used them after they got obsolete?, I think they could still be of use for lighter armed vehicles like for example the bren carrier and trucks, did they still use them in 1944/1945?.

speiss 2002
    ?

Question Re: Gr B 39

Strangely enough it has been de-activated,though under NZ law I can and will bring it back to operational status...easier said than done of course.The barrel has been drilled infrom underneath at the chamber,which will take an armourer friend of mine some ingenuity to fix,but she will (hopefully) operate on a 13mm/7.92 blank case we are also working on.
    It would be a real joy to find out more of the operational history of these.I wonder how many of the 25,000 odd PzB 39's were modified thus.It is a very clumsy weapon to carry about.Imagine haveing to carry it along with both grenade projectiles and the grenade blanks.A vehicle mount would be less of a hindrance but how useful?
    Attached Images Attached Images Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39 

Johnnie
    ?

I suspect it was a case of adapting anything they could to AT mode as Allied tanks, especiall Russian, became harder to kill. These, the grenade launching PAK-37, even grenade launching flare pistols. Desperation is indeed the mother of invention. I do understand that some of the original versions were given to allies such as the Italians and perhaps Romanians.

Johnnie

?

Beautiful, Hope you get it shooting again. Are you going to make a chamber/barrel insert? If so and you use 7.62mm you can use standard grenade blanks, just decrease the range a bit.

I have wondered how effective they were. Anyone know a WWII German/Italian/Romanian vet to ask about their actual use?

speiss 2002
    ?

A chamber insert is looking more likely .I hadn't thought about 7.62 but there's an idea!

speiss 2002
    ?

The Pistol grip has a hinge joint about level with the trigger guard.When pushed forward and down,this opens the breech.Because the grenade had such a high trajectory additions to the bipod legs were spot welded on,and for added strength a couple of half round struts were also welded inside the stock arms.So now the stock can only be folded to about 5-oclock.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39  Gr B 39 

The second round from the bottom is the grenade launcher round for your toy.

Quote by speiss 2002 View Post
    A chamber insert is looking more likely .I hadn't thought about 7.62 but there's an idea!
    It would have to be a 7.92 cal. insert.. I have one with my PzB39...BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast