Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Greek Bren

Article about: The Greeks made their own .303 HXP ammo, I'm not sure when/if they've stopped making it but I've seen 1986 dated stuff and their still exporting their surplus I believe. Even if they are DPs

Default Re: Greek Bren

The Greeks made their own .303 HXP ammo, I'm not sure when/if they've stopped making it but I've seen 1986 dated stuff and their still exporting their surplus I believe. Even if they are DPs, at least they still have a use and the Greeks are one of the few countries who appear friendly towards the collectors market, selling off hundreds of thousands of guns I Just hope the UN dont convince them to destroy their surplus.

?

Very interesting. The names on this gun are last name Apostolou, first name Achelles, then Kokkini (which means red in Greek). I say this because Apostolou is my grandmothers maiden name. The Greek army is quickly modernising. They were making licensed copies of HK G3 rifles of very good quality. A few years ago they got into making remote control (pilotless) observation aircraft which they were selling on the world market (Hellenic Industries).

Maybe the owner was a soldier and he must write his name on it....

?

About 20 years ago, several Greek Manlicher rifles showed up in a local gun store. Many had names carved in the stock. My cousin bought one, and it had a slip of paper under the butt plate with a mans name and rank on it. It also said they (his unit) were in the mountains (somewhere) and were freezing to death, and that know one would know of their fate. Very touching; I'll never forget it. My cousin kept the note until his death.

Where is ,this gun store?

?

Yassou Sotiri. This store was in Lansing Michigan, in the U.S. It closed about 1998.

Hello ,i have hear ,a lot quantities from Manlicher sold from Greek Army at 80s,at store who sell old metal (scrap)i have many treasures and very cheap

Sorry for my English,

Hi guys !!!
    Just embarked in the Forum, Greek Air Force, except the Bren, use the .30 cal M1 carbine together with .38 cal S&W victory md or perhaps .38 cal colt commando revolvers. Not so long ago Hellenic (Greek) A F trained their ground troops with .303 British Lee Enfields (No 4 i pressume). Presidential Guard use the fable M1 Garand for parade purposes and the Hellenic Army still issue .45 cal M1911 & M1911A1 pistols to their troops. I recall, when i was doing my Army duty i was issued a Colt M1911A1 pistol in about very good condition.

Yes is true ,,,On Tank Corp(Tethorakismena) where i have served as Second Lt, i have a Colt M1911 A1 1943 production

Yassou Sotiri,
    when i was doing my Army duty (1988-1990), serving in Signal corps (Diavivasseis) i encountered at times, .30 cal M1 Garands & BARs, .45 cal Thomson M1A1s & even in Mytilene, the commanding General i served under, was issued a .38 S&W (not .38 spl). As you can see a plethora of weapons, adding the 7.62X51 G3 A3&A4s, HK11s, MAGs, MG3s, FN FALs, M16s in a variety of configurations.....a real nightmare for armourers and logistics officers. As we're speaking i think that all WWII arms have been scraped or sold off by now, leaving behind the Garands and the 1911A1s. That's as far as History is concerned...
    As for the name sticker on the butstock of the BREN, my opinion is that this is the name of the soldier it was issued to, a long long time ago...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast