Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Which gun might this be?

Article about: Two minutes in the video about Göring a man looks to be bending down and preparing to accept more guns from the back of a lorry. Across the chest, he has what looks to be a MPi18. It just lo

?

Default Which gun might this be?

Two minutes in the video about Göring a man looks to be bending down and preparing to accept more guns from the back of a lorry.
    Across the chest, he has what looks to be a MPi18.
    It just looks a bit more beefy.
    Do you have any idea, what it might be?
    Hitlers Helfer: Hermann Göring - Der zweite Mann (2/3) - YouTube

Default Re: Which gun might this be?

I'd say mp 28, though the 18 appears to be identical. Seems to be in proportion though.

?

I just thought that it looked too beefy to be either the 18 or the 28, but then again; what else can it be....

?

I think it is a Bergmann mp18, it could be the chaps a small guy lol

Well the point of view isn't the greatest, but it feeds from the left side from what I can see. Given the time frame, I believe the 18's would've likely been phased out by then.

?

Nope, not by a long shot. The SWISS made it as the SIG BERGMANN 1920 and the Chinese made it until the late twenties, but I digress, for the clincher is that in the segment its not regular Wehrmacht troops but the 'Sudeten-deutsche' population loyal to Germany, who are brandishing the weapons. Irregular troops/militia would be far more likely to be equipped with outdated weaponry. So it would not at all be unusual to see the 18 in the hands of these guys.
    Besides many many newsreels and pics show SS troops retaining the MP18/28 for a while.
    As is the case with those troops fighting partisans behind the lines.

Good Lord-the Germans never 'phased anything out'-if it still worked they kept it-always perpetually short on small arms, the MP40 toting trooper was a myth for most German forces, let alone auxiliaries.