Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Gun Show Warning

Article about: Thanks for answering my old post guys. Yes I attended the last show in Northeast area and indeed they were selling beer popcorn and just about anything else you could imagine. I was put off

Angry Gun Show Warning

Just recently returned from gun show this past weekend. Just thought I would pass along advice to novice collectors. I have much to learn myself but the fakery is blatant. I passed by a table with KAr 98Ks that were suppose to be original. The stocks looked like they were manufactured the day before the show. Just for fun I ask seller if waffenamp stamps were present and unpeened. He ask me what a waffenamp stamping was. One gun looked to be restamped by a child. the best part is that he was asking $800 for this abortion. I think better finds can be found at local gun stores turned in by vets. Just thought I would suggest bringing an expert along when making purchase. Damn shame we have to be on look out for these forgeries with hard earned money.

Default Re: Gun Show Warning

well done for pointing it out its a shame that there are such morons in this world who try to fake things

tom

Quote by talltom View Post
    well done for pointing it out its a shame that there are such morons in this world who try to fake things

tom
    Thanks for replying Tom. Just trying to make people aware and not waste their money. If I can save one person from getting ripped off it will be worth it. I so far have been disappointed in these shows regarding prices even of legit items. Again I have seen better prices at gun shops where they trade ins for modern sporting rifles. Talk again soon Best wishes

Doesnt just happen in the US sadly, unfortunately even in the UK certain sellers/dealers have been putting fake second world war German markings onto them to raise the prices on deactivated weapons. I've mainly seen it happen with pistols, pretty sad that its coming to this. Faking insignia is one thing, but defacing firearms in an attempt to make more money out of them is worse in my opinion.

Thanks

Danny

?

I got out of colelcting 98k's 12 + years ago. #1 due to the huge amount of fraud back then , #2 the undercurrent of closet nazis in the hobby left a real bad smell to my nose and #3 the inflated valuation on nazi era anything was/is overboard.
    There was an old german fellow in King Of Prussia PA back in the 80's and early 90's whom could do the most amazing forgeries of german pistols and rifles...and did. He made P08's with his vast amount of horded parts
    and expertise of machining , renumbering and refinishing. He did some stellar fanasty 1911 pistols as well...and man did he put a screwing to newbies and those not on their game.
    As well I could name a father & son team in kansas that specialized in making bolt mismatches matching as they have horded bolts of all proofs and eras , and the late master machinist of OHIO whom made some incredible restorations and outright fake snipers and fantasy 98k's for some very well known high end "collectors"... some of these jobs turned up in backboner and the two sinper editions by the same author.Having known alot of the old school collectors and learning from them as well as finding out for myself whom were the devils in the hobby has made me wary of professional dealers in general. Almost as bad as the german helmet collecting community...more fraud there then you could shake a chord of wood at !. And the typical closing of ranks of the fanboys in blind support for those dealers with a rep for finding rare and elusive sought after lids..... irregardless of how bad a fake they are. Especailly with the junk science radar gun testing the mainstream lid junkies are falling for to annoint their handiwork. Same type of cronies in firearms collecting circles.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Just recently returned from gun show this past weekend. Just thought I would pass along advice to novice collectors. I have much to learn myself but the fakery is blatant. I passed by a table with KAr 98Ks that were suppose to be original. The stocks looked like they were manufactured the day before the show. Just for fun I ask seller if waffenamp stamps were present and unpeened. He ask me what a waffenamp stamping was. One gun looked to be restamped by a child. the best part is that he was asking $800 for this abortion. I think better finds can be found at local gun stores turned in by vets. Just thought I would suggest bringing an expert along when making purchase. Damn shame we have to be on look out for these forgeries with hard earned money.

Thanks for replying Gew98 Am no kid but was amazed after joining forum at all the fakery going on. Thats why decided to check out these shows and see for myself. I would sure hate to shell out big bucks and find out item was faked. Have original kar98k given to me by father in law and will be happy with that. I hope my posting will be of some benefit to collectors to be careful and not be afraid to ask questions to knowledgeable collectors. Have learned much myself since joining forum. Again thanks for replying

?

A very high end collector and I were at the old Ohio Gun Collectors show in Columbus Ohio in the1980's. He was always proud of his prowess in collecting weapons and spotting fakes. He bought a high rail 98K sniper. Sadly he was thought a lesson when he found out later in the show he had bought a forgery. Just goes to show that even a high end collector can be fooled.

yea i saw a g33/40 here at a gun show in texas,had a mis-match bolt and other parts,,and the seller wanted 2000.00 for it,and the tag says all 100% org with matching parts

?

Loads of ruthless people out there willing to do anything to make a buck...

?

I rarely attend gun shows anymore. 1st they are turning into swap meets selling as much gems, T shirts and beef jerky as they do weapons. 2nd What you see there these days is mostly over priced weapons in such poor condition I wouldn't use them for door stops. 3rd anything that is in vg-exc condition is generally 2x what they are worth. Last, the parking price and admission is getting so high your at $20-330 or more before you get in the door. Then add the cost of gas you are better off frequenting LGS. Oh I almost forgot, forgeries abound.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast