Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Heckler & Koch G3A3 Assault Rifle.

Article about: Nice looking rifle. I'm not that keen on modern weapons, but the Heckler & Koch has something about it! There is something in the back of my mind telling me that there used to be a way o

Default Re: H&K G3A3 Pix.

Nice looking rifle. I'm not that keen on modern weapons, but the Heckler & Koch has something about it! There is something in the back of my mind telling me that there used to be a way of getting the SLR on full auto with the aid of a matchstick. Of course this could just be an army rumour that was circulating at the time (early 70's). I have an SLR with the older wood furniture fitted. I keep it as a reminder of the one I carried around NI. I do recall that when the SA80 was first being tested that we were told that the 5.56mm cartridge was specifically chosen for use on the streets of NI as the 7.62 was considered to be too powerful for urban warfare. Again though, this could have been just rumours circulating between us 'squaddies'.

yea h the fn fal was full auto but highly uncontrolable i was much happier with the slr and glad we didnt have to cart the original L85a1 around it was serious junk!! As to the balcony i'm pretty sure that would be an MP5 by H&K, but yeah if you want a good reliable weapon you can trust the Germans to create something highly engineered and soild

chewing a wad of paper and stuffing it inside the gas regualtor was supposed ot make her go full auto never tried it myslef as i was told the stock wouldnt handle the recoil on full burst unlike the fal wood versions

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Nice looking rifle. I'm not that keen on modern weapons, but the Heckler & Koch has something about it! There is something in the back of my mind telling me that there used to be a way of getting the SLR on full auto with the aid of a matchstick. Of course this could just be an army rumour that was circulating at the time (early 70's).

Hi Harry,

You're NOT wrong with that thought mate, there was a way of turning an SLR into full auto.

If memory serves right, it basically involved blocking the primary safety sear with a matchstick.............and hoping that you didnt get caught because it was a hanging offence!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: As an aside, one of the training weapons that we had at my unit was a sectioned FN-FAL with the auto capability still fitted!
    Last edited by jimpy; 07-31-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Addition

lol jimpy i used to drool over the foreign weapons in our armoury ppshs aks 98s good seelction

Quote by panzerjaeger44 View Post
    yea h the fn fal was full auto but highly uncontrolable i was much happier with the slr and glad we didnt have to cart the original l85a1 around it was serious junk!! as to the balcony im pretty ure thatd be an mp5 by h&k but yeah ifd you want a good relaible weapon u can trust the germans to create something highly engineered and soild
    Regarding Operation Nimrod, yeah you're right, the weapons used were MP5's, the reference to black kit and the balcony was just a little British humour on my part.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

lol ned im british myself just happen to live in america still has its advantages too .... dont have to deact everything lol

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi Harry,

You're NOT wrong with that thought mate, there was a way of turning an SLR into full auto.

If memory serves right, it basically involved blocking the primary safety sear with a matchstick.............and hoping that you didnt get caught because it was a hanging offence!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: As an aside, one of the training weapons that we had at my unit was a sectioned FN-FAL with the auto capability still fitted!
    Hi Jimpy,

For the L1A1, the lack of fully-automatic fire resulted in the unofficial conversion of the L1A1 to full-auto capability by simply filing down the selector, which works by restricting the disconnector movement.

This unofficial modification was a field conversion that Australian troops in Vietnam applied due to the enemies close proximity in jungle warfare.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 07-31-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: mong spelling
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

must of worked for em ned if i recall they australian sas regiment in vietnam didnt take many casualties

Ah yes!- the matchstick of doom-it was put under the sear and had very unpredictable results-I only ever saw it done with blanks in the Army Reserve, but one time we debussed at night, cocked weapons to set off on patrol and the SLR that was 'modified' immediately ran away, firing off the mag of 20. Not recommended.

PS -the SAS regimental museum here in Perth where they're based has an example of one of their modified SLRs nicknamed 'the Bitch' with the barrel shortened to just in front of the gas regulator as the SLR was a long weapon to carry in the undergrowth in Viet Nam-the muzzle blast is also a psych shock effect on the enemy.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast