MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The hunt begins!

Article about: I've decided to begin looking for the next addition to my collection - an Enfield No5 Jungle Carbine. I've identified a few possibilities through online sellers and will be going to a histor

Default Re: The hunt begins!

MarkV-do you have a copy of Ian Skennerton's 'The Lee Enfield'?-as I have told anyone interested in the type, it's the book on them from the early rifles that Britain sought to compare for choosing a magazine fed weapon to the current issue sniper rifles with the Lee Enfield action. I know you are a fan and collector of the type and it's well worth getting if you don't already have it...I was intending a post of various carbines including my No.5 and bayo soon if you're interested.

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    MarkV-do you have a copy of Ian Skennerton's 'The Lee Enfield'?-as I have told anyone interested in the type, it's the book on them from the early rifles that Britain sought to compare for choosing a magazine fed weapon to the current issue sniper rifles with the Lee Enfield action. I know you are a fan and collector of the type and it's well worth getting if you don't already have it...I was intending a post of various carbines including my No.5 and bayo soon if you're interested.
    I don't have it - but my son does. I probably need to get it at some point myself.

I was looking at a BSA - marked 1945. No month of production - just the year. Is that normal? The SN is BE1456. It appeared to be pretty much BSA marked with B or M47, M and the bolt/receiver match. Furniture looks pretty nice, correct rear sight. The mag is wrong - marked for a #4 Longbranch but I can get an unmarked later. It went off auction but I still might be able to get it. Comments? Oh, price is $385.

Hello-BSA examples only have the year of production-no month unlike Fazakerley-mags were often changed/mixed in service as the mag is identical for the No.4 and 5 but postwar the serial no. was engraved or stamped on the bottom-as you know the mag should be British made as only the 2 UK factories made the 5-sling should be the jungle green short pattern that was also used on the SLR as a replacement-good No.5s are getting hard to come by here in Australia as the number made wasn't large and many have been shot out over the years-were popular hunting/farmers rifles as they came already 'sporterized'. I can't comment on price except to say that would be cheap here-prices start north of AUD $750 for a good example.

?

I forgot- here is a link to the Gunbroker listing - now closed:Enfield No. 5 Mk I Jungle carbine original : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

I also received the following info from the seller:

1)Condtion is very good. Looks to be all orginal. Barrel/bore bright. The black paint has some nicks in it but nothing major. Looks like it set in storage for a long time.
    2)Rear sight goes up to 800, marked with a B on the top left and a b on the slider
    2)Bolt head marked with a 1 and a M, cocking pcece marked with a M4 and a L, do not see anything on the bolt body other then the serial that matches the reciver.
    3) Front sight marked with MI4C and an upside down 2
    4) Receiver is marked M/4 something but I can not make out the last dight, may be a 7 see below
    5) Stock is marked M/47 within some british proofs then a 12.
    6) mag does not match.

I''m inclined to go for it unless someone has reservations. The price is as good as I've seen.

It looks in pretty original condition, no mangled screws and as the No.5 Mk1 and serial are in the white, its not been refinished. The only thing that looks a little odd to me is the bolt, does it deffo match? It looks like a No.4 to me, I'll go have a look at the 2 of mine.

By the way, the code will be M/47C

?

According to the seller the bolt/receiver numbers match. I've had several people look at the pics - seems good to all but let me know if you have an issue with the bolt. Looks OK to me and my son but we're far from experts! Thanks again for the help. The seller is holding it until Monday for me to decide.

Just checked and the bolt is correct so no worries there. Also, just the year of 1945 is correct as thats how my M47C carbine is marked, the other is marked 10/46

?

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    Just checked and the bolt is correct so no worries there. Also, just the year of 1945 is correct as thats how my M47C carbine is marked, the other is marked 10/46
    Well, it looks like I have found my No. 5 Mk. I. Not too bad of a hunt and priced well below others I've seen. I'll post pictures of it when it arrives!!

Thanks so very much for the help!!

My next buy will be a nice representative No. 1 Mk. III.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2