Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying a Mauser Rifle

Article about: Just saw a Mauser 98 type rifle in 7.92 in a local store that was in very nice condition but I did not recognize the marks nor did anyone in the store know from which country it served. Atta

Default Identifying a Mauser Rifle

Just saw a Mauser 98 type rifle in 7.92 in a local store that was in very nice condition but I did not recognize the marks nor did anyone in the store know from which country it served. Attached is a picture of the receiver markings. Any ideas? They were asking $350 USD and I'm curious if a reasonable price or not. Also, as mentioned it was in very nice condition (almost looked unissued) but I did notice that the wooden upper hand grip appeared to actually have a knot in it? Was it normal for Mausers to have wood knots in the stocks?

Thank you in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying a Mauser Rifle  

?

Hello
    Spanish Air Force, I suppose !
    cordially
    Didier

Didier is right-a Model 44 98K Mauser(Spanish-not German, of course) for the Spanish Air Force. $350 is not really all that much money for it. It's about right-if it's not been tinkered with, naturally. Many of these you find have been reblued, etc. I had one just like it a long time ago and it was a great shooter. I hand loaded custom rounds for it and it had a Very strong action. It easily exceeded standard loads and handled them just fine. (kicked like a SOB, though-gotta love the old steel buttplates!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you all for the information. Any thoughts as to whether the knot in the wooden hand guard is a concern?

I don't see why it should be a problem. Wood is wood-sometimes there are knots.
    William

Agree. $350 not a bad price for the mauser in question. Our modern tupperware hunting rifles are fetching more than that.

One more question... As mentioned it looks almost non-issued and I didn't see any modifications (i.e. not drilled for scope, etc). I plan to check the serial numbers next time I visit the shop. One thing that I am wondering about though is the bolt. It has a bent bolt but looking online it appears that most M44 have straight bolts. I have found occasional mention of bent bolts but I'm wondering if they were really issued that way or if the rifle just has a mismatched bolt of if someone actually bent it (but as mentioned I saw no modifications for a scope and thus no need to bend it). Thoughts?

Mine, as I recall, had a straight bolt. I remember the old wives tale that bent bolts were for scoped rifles, but this is nonsense, of course.
    William

Not a 98k variant but a copy of the German Mauser Standard Short Model 1933-some of these were sold to Spain during the Civil War in 7mm-when the Spanish started to use 7.92mm, they began to make the new M1943 in the new calibre-most do have the straight bolt handle of the SSM33-condition of the non army rifles is usually pretty good because Navy, Air Force and Police just used them for parade and the odd range shoot, not running around in the field.