Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle

Article about: Greetings Everyone, I recently acquired this early Schuetzen rifle, and I need some help deciphering some of the engraving. It has two names engraved on the barrel. One of which appears to b

RZM
    ?

Default Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle

Greetings Everyone,

I recently acquired this early Schuetzen rifle, and I need some help deciphering some of the engraving. It has two names engraved on the barrel. One of which appears to be "E. a Schnanden", and I can't make out the other, but it has the date of 1850. It has a heavily engraved hammer that appears to be a dog's head. That line in the hammer is not a crack, but rather a fold from when it was forged. The side plate is a serpent with a bear or tiger head. It has engraving on nearly all of the metal parts. I believe it is .42 caliber. Any information would be a great help! Also, I would be interested to know what a piece like this would be valued at. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle   Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle  

Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle   Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle  

Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle   Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle  

RZM
    ?

Here are a few more pics...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle   Info Needed on my Early Schuetzen Rifle  

?

Sorry, I can't help with it, but it's quite nice! I used to collect coins (Schützentaler) relating to the Swiss Schützenfest events, and this is reminiscent of them. The first Schützentaler was minted for the festival in Solothurn, which took place in 1850, so your rifle really brings back some fun collecting memories.

Thanks for showing it!

Probably not the right place to ask questions about a rare mid 19th century civilian sporting arm though.

PS But it is a pretty piece.

RZM
    ?

Thanks guys. Lithgow, I figured this would be a pretty good place since it was a vet bringback from Germany. I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people here, so some one will know about it. Hopefully, lol

A vet bringback-from which war? The Austro-Prussian war of 1866?
    I was under the impression that GIs could only bring back captured/surrendered enemy equipment.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    A vet bringback-from which war? The Austro-Prussian war of 1866?
    I was under the impression that GIs could only bring back captured/surrendered enemy equipment.
    Maybe it was captured from the Volkssturm!...

On a more serious note that's a very nice rifle!...

RZM
    ?

Lithgow, it was brought back from WWII. I think GI could bring back anything they wanted. My grandfather brought back a Suhl made double barrel shotgun, and several other non-military related items. I believe captured equipment required a certificate to be brought back to the US. As far as I know, there weren't any regulations for bringing back non-military souvenirs.

Great piece. I know very little about these,
    but it sure looks nice.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

RZM
    ?

Thanks Steve! I was very excited to get it. I actually plan on using it in competition at the Friendship, Indiana Spring National Shoot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast