Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Inland M1 Carbine help

Article about: Hi guys, I am looking at buying a M1 carbine but there are a couple things wrong with it. The first one is that someone drilled a scope mount into the receiver, can that be taken off and hav

Andysilverado
    ?

Ok i'd like to ask the same question only MY reasoning for wanting to fix tapped holes, is that my particular rifle was my grandfather's that he had sporterized. So how do i fill the holes put in by a tapped Lyman sight.
    Obviously this rifle has sentimental value to me.

MAP
    ?

Listen to John and other here. I have two (a true WWII Paratrooper and line-out Underwood or was that Inland....forgot sorry). With a bit of patience and searching you can find nice period originals. These are not too rare so as everyone says, don't waste money restoring. It's not worth it unless you just want a shooter and not looking for originality.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The advice offered here is sound, but photos would still help determine if both projects are worth it.

If the the carbine is free or priced so low that it's worth it...

Replacing an aftermarket or sporterized authentic stock on a carbine is easy. In most cases, all you need to do is loosen the front barrel band, slide the barrel band down towards the muzzle of the barrel (which frees up the hand guard), remove the hand guard and then tilt the barrel up and lift the whole barreled receiver out of the stock (the rear of the receiver will be tucked down under the recoil lug).

In terms of a replacement stock cost, it will depend on whether or not you want an authentic stock or a modern reproduction stock in the same style as an original. Authentic stocks can be pricey... and beyond that, you can go into the different variations and makers of stocks. Numrich is selling Italian marked USGI stocks in fair-good condition for as cheap as $65...

I have heard of scope mount holes being plugged. I do not know how to do it... and would only feel comfortable having a competent gunsmith do so for me...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2