Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Italian WWI M1891 Carcano TS

Article about: The corrugated metal variant according to Janzen.

Default Re: Italian WWI M1891 Carcano TS

Noted, thanks gents! I'll keep an eye out... maybe I'll find one at the dump!

Thanks, SW!

Any idea what the markings on the base of the bolt handle are? I had the thing infront of me and I can't figure it out... Is it a serial number mismatch?

Also... I am scared that I ruined the bore. I gave it a general cleaning yesterday, but I noticed the bore still looked rough. Today, I went to the gun shop and picked up some foaming bore scrubber and also a 9mm bore brush. As I said yesterday, the 6.5mm went thru the bore like a bike in an airplane hanger and the .30cal bore brush didn't feel right either...

I sprayed in the foaming bore scrubber, let it sit for 20mins, and then scrubbed away with my 9mm brush and used patches...

Before, you can see some rifling:

After... looks like a smooth bore...

I fear it has fired its last round unless you get it re barreled-if you can get a 9mm bore brush down a 6.5mm nominal bore...perhaps its time to get it deactivated so it can be displayed with your Grandfather's medals and papers (I assume that you can't have a live weapon just lying around the place unsecured). As far as the ammo goes all 6.5 mm Carcano is round nosed-the Italians never developed 'spitzer' pointy rounds for them as they lacked the industrial strength to reequip the existing stockpile with new barrels or modified sights-they tried to change to the somewhat pointy 7.35mm prewar but again couldn't produce enough new rifles or ammo and were forced to readopt the old round during WW2.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    I fear it has fired its last round unless you get it re barreled-if you can get a 9mm bore brush down a 6.5mm nominal bore...perhaps its time to get it deactivated so it can be displayed with your Grandfather's medals and papers (I assume that you can't have a live weapon just lying around the place unsecured). As far as the ammo goes all 6.5 mm Carcano is round nosed-the Italians never developed 'spitzer' pointy rounds for them as they lacked the industrial strength to reequip the existing stockpile with new barrels or modified sights-they tried to change to the somewhat pointy 7.35mm prewar but again couldn't produce enough new rifles or ammo and were forced to readopt the old round during WW2.
    Thanks, Lithgow.

With the crack in the hand guard and worn out bore, you're right. I would be scared to wreck this and it's now a wall hanger.

The modern privi partizan 6.5 Carcano that I fire through my other rifle is "pointy". I'd love to find a WWI era clip and round nosed ammo to display with this rifle.

?

Is it possible it is one of the 8mm conversions?
    I think that is great that you are putting together a tribute to his service during WW1!!

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Is it possible it is one of the 8mm conversions?
    I think that is great that you are putting together a tribute to his service during WW1!!
    Hi Phil,

I'm not really sure. If an 8mm conversion, wouldn't it be marked as such somewhere? I can try to chamber some 8mm dummy rounds...

Best,
    Joe T

If it was converted it would be marked with an 's' on the chamber for 'spitzer' (you see this on the M95 Steyr conversions as well) and probably '7.9' on the rear sight-it would be unlikely that a 1915 made rifle would be converted given the overstress of the much more powerful Mauser round and the reduction of metal in the chamber needed to get the round in the mechanism.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    If it was converted it would be marked with an 's' on the chamber for 'spitzer' (you see this on the M95 Steyr conversions as well) and probably '7.9' on the rear sight-it would be unlikely that a 1915 made rifle would be converted given the overstress of the much more powerful Mauser round and the reduction of metal in the chamber needed to get the round in the mechanism.

Could this be a re-chamber marking?

Does look like 7.92 is marked on the rear sight base-not safe to fire for the prev stated reasons though.

Thanks, lithgow.

Why would this rifle have been rechambered? I have only ever heard of the Germans rechambering Carcanos to 8mm to arm the Volkssturm.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast