Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Italian WWI M1891 Carcano TS

Article about: The corrugated metal variant according to Janzen.

Default Re: Italian WWI M1891 Carcano TS

Post war many were converted by the Italians as a way of using the vast numbers of surplus rifles for sale in a more popular calibre around Europe and the US. Times were hard and folks might buy a cheap rifle for hunting etc even if only single shot but by modern standards don't try shooting it please.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Post war many were converted by the Italians as a way of using the vast numbers of surplus rifles for sale in a more popular calibre around Europe and the US. Times were hard and folks might buy a cheap rifle for hunting etc even if only single shot but by modern standards don't try shooting it please.
    No worries, lithgow! I will attempt to chamber an 8mm mauser snapcap just to see if our hypothesis is correct. Otherwise, this rifle will NEVER come into contact with live ammo.

?

I agree, I wouldn't fire 8mm Mauser in a Carcano for the reasons Lithgow stated. I would look to see if there are any Nazi markings on it. If so I could be quite valuable. I have seen videos of the Volkstrum marching with Breda 30 LMG's and Carcano's but have no idea if any were converted to 8mm.

No Nazi markings.

I posted our findings on gunboards and they said the marking we thought to be a 7.92 rechambering indication in actually just an Italian armorer's mark.

They maintain that it is still chambered in 6.5mm and just REALLY worn.

The lack of an 'S' on the chamber would seem to indicate that indeed she's an old warhorse that saw 2 World Wars and perhaps various other colonial campaigns, not to mention civilian use as well....

Quote by lithgow View Post
    The lack of an 'S' on the chamber would seem to indicate that indeed she's an old warhorse that saw 2 World Wars and perhaps various other colonial campaigns, not to mention civilian use as well....
    That's what I was thinking, too. No import mark, so perhaps she is a WWII vet bring-back.

Italian WWI M1891 Carcano TSItalian WWI M1891 Carcano TSItalian WWI M1891 Carcano TSItalian WWI M1891 Carcano TSItalian WWI M1891 Carcano TSItalian WWI M1891 Carcano TS

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    ... ...And yes the bayonets are rather hard to locate and they also have a strange way of attachment to the bayonet lug ...
    I was collecting bayonets for quite a while but I do have some left over.
    Among them a "TS".

?

Thank You Reibert for posting that pic.
    I have the regular 1891 version and I've only seen this version in books. That is very cool .
    Thanks again
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hey Gizmo,
    You know it might not be a shooter but you still got yourself a really nice example of what your GF might have carried and with the medal's you got and that rifle ,Just find the WW1 Italian adrian style helmet and that will make for a great display in Honor to Him!!!!
    If I run across one I will for sure send you a PM to let you know about it.
    I think it is just awesome to keep the memory of our family members who have servered alive to be passed down to our kids and their kids and so on!!! His Great Great Great Great Grandson will surly appreciate what you are doing!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Hi Joe,it`s possible but improbable,that the rifle was rebored out to the other Italian caliber of 7.35x52, here`s some pics of some WW1-WW2 clips and the two cartridges.....Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Italian WWI M1891 Carcano TS   Italian WWI M1891 Carcano TS  

JEDEM DAS SEINE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast