Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Type 38 Arisaka

Article about: Hi guys! 'Tis the season, and the Christmas presents have begun to find their way into my collection! I will start with this little beauty here. Don't mind the cat hair. My girlfriend bought

Default Japanese Type 38 Arisaka

Hi guys!

'Tis the season, and the Christmas presents have begun to find their way into my collection! I will start with this little beauty here. Don't mind the cat hair.

My girlfriend bought this for me for Christmas. It's an entirely original and matching Japanese Type 38 Arisaka rifle. It was made by the Kokura Arsenal, I believe sometime in the late 30's. The rings stamped on top of the mum, as well as the extra character on the receiver and extra '0's and '1's that precede the serial number indicate that it was taken out of Imperial Japanese military service, and given to a school. The bore is bright, but the stock has a small crack in it.

It came with a seriously MINT bayonet. I don't know if Arisaka bayonets typically come in this condition, but the thing really is beautiful. It was made by 'Toyoda Jidoshoki Seisakusho' (Toyoda Automatic Loom Works).

I plan on acquiring all of the goodies that come with it, starting with a sling. If anyone dares to make my Christmas even better then please do not hesitate to send one!

My collecting goal has always been to acquire a rifle, helmet, field jacket/tunic, and flag from each of the five major powers during WWII. With this rifle, I now have 14 of the 25 items on the list. Onward...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Type 38 Arisaka   Japanese Type 38 Arisaka  

Japanese Type 38 Arisaka   Japanese Type 38 Arisaka  

?

Default Re: Japanese Type 38 Arisaka

Lucky you !! you must have been a very good boy all year !! Seriously what a nice rifle , all matching , well done !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Lucky you !! you must have been a very good boy all year !! Seriously what a nice rifle , all matching , well done !
    Thanks! Do you have any idea what the sideways 'S' on the receiver is for?

?

The " S " is the Koishikawa ( Tokyo ) Arsenal barrel proof stamp ( this mark was switched from a " B " at around the 800,000 s/n ) .As far as the age of the rifle is concerned , Koishikawa made the first 2 million type 38's from 1906 to 1935 so if yearly production numbers were fairly consistent yours ( s/n 1753542 ) would have been made in the early 30's , maybe 1930/31.
    REGARDS AL

A side question-what do you consider the '5 Powers' to be?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    I would assume he means Germany, Japan, Britain (including commonwealth), America and USSR but see what he says.

That is a tidy rifle and the bayonet is as you say MINT. People moan about storage grease and cosmoline, but without it, the stuff your wiping it off would be in crappy condition!

Merry Christmas!
    Tom

Quote by lithgow View Post
    U.K., U.S., U.S.S.R., Germany, and Japan. There are, of course, other major nations that took part in the war. I will be collecting those after I get the main sets.

Quote by Alan M View Post
    The " S " is the Koishikawa ( Tokyo ) Arsenal barrel proof stamp ( this mark was switched from a " B " at around the 800,000 s/n ) .As far as the age of the rifle is concerned , Koishikawa made the first 2 million type 38's from 1906 to 1935 so if yearly production numbers were fairly consistent yours ( s/n 1753542 ) would have been made in the early 30's , maybe 1930/31.
    Thanks! I thought it might be Kokura and that '001' was the school addition to the prefix. I am glad to hear that I was wrong! Early rifles mean more history.

Great Looking rifle!!!!
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Thanks! I thought it might be Kokura and that '001' was the school addition to the prefix. I am glad to hear that I was wrong! Early rifles mean more history.
    You were not completely wrong concerning the Kokura Arsenal , as there is a connection between it and the Koishikawa Arsenal ( they bear the same MM i.e. the four stacked cannonballs ). The history is that in 1923 an earthquake decimated the Koishikawa Arsenal and manufacturing was gradually transfered to Kokura , this occurred from 1923 to 1935, with construction of Rifles and MGs gradually shifting from one facility to the other. Koishikawa still managed to finish the 1923 Siamese Arisaka (Type 66) rifle contract, by about 1927; and continue in part to assemble T38 Rifles and Carbines, but Nagoya was brought on stream to manufacture both T38s in increasing Numbers,
    and the "Kana" serial system was brought into effect. Exactly when Kokura produced its first T38, and Koishikawa its last, will probably never be known, as there would have been exchange of "parts" between the Two sites, in the 23-35 period, as more machinery was acquired for Kokura, and production at K'kawa was wound down. The Cartridge factory was expanded, though, and became the 1st Tokyo Ammunition Arsenal ( Five-Pointed Star with central ring).

A point of note, Kokura was one of the Three Cities in the "Hit List" for the first Atom Bomb run, but cloud over Kokura that morning eliminated it when the B29s were over-head....they swung away to drop on Hiroshima instead, which, whilst the location of one T99 Rifle factory, was not a major "ordnance" city like Kokura. Both Arsenals were dismantled and demolished after WW II.

The prefix of OO added to the serial number and the cross like mark immediately above the mum denoted it was taken from military to school use.
    REGARDS AL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast