Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,

Article about: This elderly lady came into the shop today and wanted to sell her late husbands guns she said he brought back from wwII. She wanted 50 dollars for both guns and the bayonet. I coulndt do it

Default Re: This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,

im not sure. PROBALLY NOT buuuttt who knows... I just got it I havent even cleaned the outside yet..haha just the bore
    Last edited by odessa1; 01-15-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: it has the arrow marks on it, and at the bottom also. I think those are the tula marks.

?

You're hooked!! lol I'll ask over on the MN forum and try to get a better value approximation.

yeah let me know what you come up with and then we can talk. Ill be heading to pa in spring I can always bring it with me if your interested in it. or whatever...

?

I need to correct myself - got typing too fast this morning. It is a Soviet M38 (they went into production in 1939 and the Finns made an M39). It was made at the Izhevsk factory - Tula made a very limited number of M38s.

Checking Gunbroker my guess would be that it would go for somewhere between $150 and $250. There's an all-matching M38 listed at $150 now with a bid that met reserve but with several days left. There are some others that are listed higher but none with bids yet. Guns and Ammo have 2 M38s listed - one sold at $219 and one is listed for $189 for sale with sling, ammo pouch and oil bottle - but they both were refurbs with M44 stocks.

The fact that the bolt is mismatched is a minus - the fact that it is not import marked is a plus. The story is great - but without a bringback tag it is hard to generate much of an increase because there's no documentation.

It's still a nice find IMHO and you are ahead of the game on the K98 alone. The M38 is icing. Congrats!!!

?

And I have posted the info on the Mosin Nagant forum to get an opinion from the guys there. I'll let you know what feedback I get.

Thank you sir! let me know if your interested in it.! Thanks for the leg work

?

I grabbed a couple of your pics to show the guys at the MN site - the one of the front end of the stock is interesting. I need to get a read on that configuration - haven't seen that before.

Also, has it been counter-bored? You can tell by looking at the end of the barrel - if it has been counterbored, it will look as if there's about an inch of the lans and grooves missing and the bore will be wider at the end.

I might be interested if you decide to sell - but in any case I want to make sure I give you an accurate representation of what you've got and a solid guess on the value.

here are some more pics mark. I tried to look into the bore but I dont have a bore light so I had my woman take the pic and I used a lighter. I cant really tell towards the end of the barrel. I hope this gives you a clue.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,   This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,  

This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,   This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,  

This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,   This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,  

This just walked into my shop today 2 guns and a old lady ...,  

I tried fired it and it has a strong snnnapppp!. Hasnt bin fired since wwII I bet.

?

Sweet! I just shot you a PM with the info I found. Looks not to be counter-bored.

Mark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast