Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

K98 id??

Article about: First off, I know these pictures are terrible. But an elderly friend of mine has been helping another very elderly lady bring her to the doctors and such. In her house she has a number of it

MAP
    ?

Default K98 id??

First off, I know these pictures are terrible. But an elderly friend of mine has been helping another very elderly lady bring her to the doctors and such.

In her house she has a number of items that her late husband brought back from Germany. They include a civic police helmet, a dove head saber, a lion or panther head saber, this K98? and other items.

My friend was able to discuss these items with her and quickly take some pictures. He is going to attempt to take clearer pictures in the future.

In the meantime I've offer to help identify and discribe the items for this woman and try give her estimates on value. I do hope to eventually purchase them (which is a long shot) but my first priority is to help her out.

That said, here are a few very bad pictures.

At first glance it looks like a K98 with a muzzle cover and a flat butt plate. But in looking closer the slot for the sling does not appear to be typical, and I do not see the typical drop in the wood stock near the bolt release. Also the left side of the receiver looks very odd.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks and Regards,

Michael

K98 id??K98 id??K98 id??K98 id??
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The k98 without better pics is and what numbers match is anywhere from 500-2000+(depending on year/maker) and the trapdoor springfield 400-1000 depending on bore conditions and correctness of parts IMO

MAP
    ?

Quote by miker1969 View Post
    The k98 without better pics is and what numbers match is anywhere from 500-2000+(depending on year/maker) and the trapdoor springfield 400-1000 depending on bore conditions and correctness of parts IMO
    Thanks Miker,

First, well to WRF!

I'm still debating if this is a K98. If could just be the angle of the pictures but the exposed section of the bolt (the bright part) looks way too far fwd. Any thoughts on that? see the pictures below.

Agree on the issue of pricing. I paid $1k 4 years ago for my all matching K98 and I'm pleased with that price.

I'm hoping to get in to see them in person but she is very old and does not want strangers in the house. I'm only trying to help her but understand, so as such for now, I'm relying on my 85 year old friend to take pictures!!

Thanks!

Michael

K98 id??K98 id??

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I agree...angle/lighting/distance could affect what you are "seeing"...Without an in hand inspection or clearer pics it is merely speculation...

MAP
    ?

Quote by miker1969 View Post
    I agree...angle/lighting/distance could affect what you are "seeing"...Without an in hand inspection or clearer pics it is merely speculation...
    Yeah.......bummer. Thanks anyway.

I really want to get in there and have it in hand myself. I'm trying. And if I succeed I will post it.

I would love to rescue this. Apparently it has been sitting like this for decades.....

Hey, maybe there is a Thompson in the violin case

Michael

?

It could be a .22cal. DSM training rifle.

MAP
    ?

Quote by rob214 View Post
    It could be a .22cal. DSM training rifle.
    Thanks Rob.

Now THAT would be interesting and wonderful but I do not think the DSM rifle exposes the bolt on the left hand side of the receiver (but I could be wrong) nor does it have a bayonet lug.

I'm think more and more it is just the angle of the camara when the picture was taken.

Asking for a miracle with these terrible pictures. I will try to get more over the comng weeks!!!

Michael

?

Not all, but, some do have bayonet lugs.

Agree from his pictures no way to be positive but I was thinking .22 trainer also from just looking at that side of the stock and the barrel but who knows there were a lot of .22 trainers brought back as GI's liked .22 rifles growing up in depression using them to hunt with. I had a similar description of a mauser pistol that turned out to be a .22 cal brought back by a 3rd armor vet I doubted that was what it was until I saw it in hand so anything is possible. Would be nice for Michael as the 22 is a lot harder to locate than the 8mm K98K. timothy

MAP
    ?

Quote by timothy View Post
    Agree from his pictures no way to be positive but I was thinking .22 trainer also from just looking at that side of the stock and the barrel but who knows there were a lot of .22 trainers brought back as GI's liked .22 rifles growing up in depression using them to hunt with. I had a similar description of a mauser pistol that turned out to be a .22 cal brought back by a 3rd armor vet I doubted that was what it was until I saw it in hand so anything is possible. Would be nice for Michael as the 22 is a lot harder to locate than the 8mm K98K. timothy
    thanks Timothy (and Rob)....will keep my fingers crossed but in the end this is a long shot (to hold in hand) and an even longer shot to purchase!!!

Hoping for better pictures in the next few weeks!