Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

K98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stock

Article about: recent pick up of mine its a 243 maker 1938 last ditch with the kriegsmodell stock. from my understanding its pretty rare but whats your guys opinions on it?. its odd because its a 1938 but

Default K98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stock

recent pick up of mine its a 243 maker 1938 last ditch with the kriegsmodell stock. from my understanding its pretty rare but whats your guys opinions on it?. its odd because its a 1938 but has all the "last ditch" features on it, no bayonet lug or cleaning rod hole, no slots in the sight for the sight hood, crude carving on the stock around the shoulder strap slot, doesnt take set screws, the barrel band is screwed on and so on. Also has the kriegsmodell stock, it seems like the germans needed to put rifles together fast as they could towards the end of the war thats why the reciever is a 38 and they used whatever they could find. whats your thoughts on it?K98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stockK98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stockK98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stockK98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stockK98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stockK98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stockK98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stock

?

It looks like a Russian capture rework to me.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Just my opinion for what it is worth. I have a 243 code rifle (Mauser @ Borsigwalde) stamped 1940 and it did not spare any expense on the construction. I do not think the war was heading south in 1938 giving no reason to take shortcuts or make last ditch rifles. I can send a few pictures if you want. My stock components are all WaA 26 marked. I would have to agree with zwerge that the stock is not original to the rifle. Still an attractive rifle.

It wouldnt have been put together in 1938 what I meant was towards the end of the war they were putting together whatever gun parts they had lying around and put them together hence the 1938 reciever and late war made kriegsmodell stock which was never stamped with a serial number and with the barrel band being screwed on and no bayonet lug or cleaning rod hole which all last ditch rifle had, I don't think the Russians when refurbishing the gun would of removed all that stuff and put all last ditch pieces onto it, the stock doesnt even have the shellac they put on all the guns or removed any swastikas.

Very well could be a Frankenstein last ditch. A lot of these were sent to depots for repair. It very well could have come out a last ditch weapon.

Interesting indeed. The WaA 280 is correct for 1938. The bluing looks different than my 1940 243 code. Possibly phosphate? Early pre-war guns usually have great finishes. Hate to guess anymore. Is there any import marks on it underneath top of barrel. UK Cousin could well be correct. My other 98k was a BYF 44 mixer with no shellac on stock either. Your gun could be quite rare and would love to know the whole story. Thanks for sharing.

I think your right about the phosphate it doesnt seem like the bluing on the later k98s and theres no import marks under the barrel, I found it at local gun place and all they really knew was it was last ditch and it had a kreigsmodell stock and someone brought it in to sell it to them thats about all I know about it. I wish it could talk because I've never seen anything really like it before.

My 1940 byf r/c rifle has a stamped barrel band fitted to it-they rebuilt rifles from whatever was at hand-only interested in getting something that went bang when required.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stock  

Are there any waffenamt stamps on the stock itself?

no stamps on the stock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast