Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

K98 "last ditch" Kriegsmodell stock

Article about: recent pick up of mine its a 243 maker 1938 last ditch with the kriegsmodell stock. from my understanding its pretty rare but whats your guys opinions on it?. its odd because its a 1938 but

I'll do a bit of research with the books I have on hand for more info. Wish it could talk myself!!

looking forward to see what you can find on it

Considering the wood of the stock, I'd have to wonder if it was a woodshop made stock. It certainly seems to be a hand crafted piece.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I keep going back to the waffenamt 280 stamped 3 times. I've never seen this before. Normal?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Considering the wood of the stock, I'd have to wonder if it was a woodshop made stock. It certainly seems to be a hand crafted piece.
    From my small cell phone it looks like a red laminate stock. So don't think it is handmade.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

PRE
    ?

Any pictures of the left side of the butt stock? If it was a Soviet capture, that's where the re-stamped serial number would be applied. If this was a previously rejected receiver, it should be marked distinctively and with a recognizable marking. If it actually went through a depot for repair or replacement of parts that went above the level of mobile repair shops and unit level armorers, it should also bear an HZa stamp on the underside of the wrist. Absent any of that, I'd be very wary of a rifle that combines such very early with such very late features.

Pat

Quote by PRE View Post
    Any pictures of the left side of the butt stock? If it was a Soviet capture, that's where the re-stamped serial number would be applied. If this was a previously rejected receiver, it should be marked distinctively and with a recognizable marking. If it actually went through a depot for repair or replacement of parts that went above the level of mobile repair shops and unit level armorers, it should also bear an HZa stamp on the underside of the wrist. Absent any of that, I'd be very wary of a rifle that combines such very early with such very late features.

Pat
    Yes the Hza stamp was what I was hoping to find on the stock.

?

The stock is a semi-kriegsmodell as it still has the bolt dismounting washers in the butt.A full kriegsmodell stock does not have these and instead has holes on the bottom sides of the buttplate,as to when and where it was put together,who knows?....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

The stocks faintly stamped 8860 matching the gun but as to other markings there is none I dont see a HZa stamp or anything, the stocks deffinitely not homemade The butt plate doesnt have any marking whatsoever, im thinking the germans just threw whatever parts lying around and put it together?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I keep going back to the waffenamt 280 stamped 3 times. I've never seen this before. Normal?
    Picture of a 1938 243 made in my book does show these 280 markings on receiver ring but the question here seems to deal with the stock and stamped butt-plate. This gun still retains the bolt take down disc in stock but I know late war production only had a hole in butt plate for this purpose. I recall my BYF 44 R/C had no serial on the stamped butt plate also. Again looks like a phosphate bluing applied at some time as a 38 gun should have the earlier finish. Well I will keep diggin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast