Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

K98 Mauser bnz 42

Article about: During World War II, the Soviet Union captured millions of Mauser Karabiner 98k rifles and re-arsenaled them in various arms factories in the late 1940s and early 1950s. These rifles were or

gregocelt
    ?

Default Re: K98 Mauser bnz 42

one thing is really interesting to me, this RC rifles ,if the parts doesn't match (and that is i reckon the case in RC rifles), i dont get this, is that mean that for example every part has somekind of similar or the same code?
    i am asking because if i want to buy cleaning rot or bayonet how would i know if it match? what should i compare with?

Hi Greg, broadly speaking most German firearms had the serial number stamped on all the major component parts. So, if a gun is in original condition, the numbers will all match one another.

On the rebuilt Russian capture guns the numbers will not be an original match. What you will find is these are what collectors term a "forced match". These rifles, after being refurbished, were put back together from a pile of parts. If the part fitted safely, the old serial number would be crossed out and a new matching serial number added. Often this was done with an electro pencil engraving tool and not using die stamps like the Germans used. Some guns will have more original matching numbers than others.

Cleaning rods were not serial numbered. But there were two different length rods used. Make sure you get the right sized rod for the rifle.

Bayonets were not issued with a number to match the rifle. But they did have a number on the blade and the scabbard. This should match. Buy one with matching numbers if you can.

Cheers, Ade.

By the way, if you are serious about collecting K98's it would be well worth you buying the book "Backbone of the Wehrmacht". While it is not cheap, it will repay you in the long run.

Cheers, Ade.

gregocelt
    ?

thx Adrian
    ps. it is expensive

To be honest, most quality books on militaria will now cost around £50. To me, it is money well spent.

Cheers, Ade.

gregocelt
    ?

ok, today i got it
    i was kind of suprice because it was with cleaning rot and it was BNZ 44 !! that mean it was the late production from Steyr factory. I found this on KZ Mauthausen-GUSEN page:

"February 26, 1944
    Upon Gauleiter Eigrubers´ proposal, RFSS Himmler approves additional transfer of production of rifles, anti-tank guns and machine guns for Steyr-Daimler-Puch (ordnance code "bnz s 4") to DEST premises at Gusen (overall monthly production of Steyr-Daimler-Puch in February 1944: 12,000 carbines K98, 1,850 automatic rifles MP 40, 7,500 pistols and 2,500 machine guns MG 42)."

if the order was "bnz s 4" is that mean the bnz s 4 should be on the rifle? i got this:

next question... it has number 669 in different places is that the serial number it should have on every part?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Mauser bnz 42   K98 Mauser bnz 42  

Hi Greg, well done!

I have edited your post and added two pics directly. Please add your others direct to the forum. There is a pinned guide how to do this in the helmet forum

Yes, the serial number is 669 and it should be repeated on other parts.

Cheers, Ade.

gregocelt
    ?

thanks but on some parts the 669 number is written like someone used sharp objects to do it, like a nail or something

Hi Greg, that will most likely be the electropencil method which I mentioned earlier.

Cheers, Ade.

glennsche
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Greg, the going rate for one of these in the UK is about £245

We have to speak now about just the UK market and not K98's in general worldwide. The are plenty of ex Russian capture rifles on the UK market. Personally, I like them. There is only one way the Russians got them and that is part of the history of the gun. You will know it was almost certainly used on the Eastern Front. I think that is a big bonus.
    Are you sure about that?

it would seem to me that with all the territory that came under soviet administration after ww2 (all of east prussia, bohemia, moravia, and other parts of west prussia going to poland which was soviet sympathetic) that there would've been many aresenals and bases which would've had store rooms filled w/ k98s and other weapons which the soviets would've taken.

i think people get a little carried away with the RC mauser idea and think that it was guaranteed carried into combat then taken off the body of a dead fritz or surrendered by a POW. of course those are part of that, but i would imagine a relatively small subset when one considers probably every k98 in every aresenal base airfield workshop etc that the russians ended up in possession of east of the Oder would qualify as an RC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast