Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

K98 opinions

Article about: I'd really like to get some quick opinions on this K98 rifle. it is a UK deact, but I'd like to find out more about the markings on the barrel, and in particular the stock - which I've notic

Default K98 opinions

I'd really like to get some quick opinions on this K98 rifle. it is a UK deact, but I'd like to find out more about the markings on the barrel, and in particular the stock - which I've noticed doesn't have the bolt takedown disk??

Thank you for looking!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 opinions  

Default Re: K98 opinions

Looks like its an Yugoslavian M48 stock.

It's a laminated stock-not an M48 which is both solid wood and has a rough finish-lack of the bolt takedown disc is common on a late war example-the hole in the butt plate is a cheaper substitute for this as is the stamped front band instead of the earlier milled type. The lower band is on the wrong side as the mount for the sling should be on the left hand side looking down the barrel from the breech end. The 'crown over N' is a commercial nitro proof mark added post war along with the arms dealer mark.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    It's a laminated stock-not an M48 which is both solid wood and has a rough finish-lack of the bolt takedown disc is common on a late war example-the hole in the butt plate is a cheaper substitute for this as is the stamped front band instead of the earlier milled type. The lower band is on the wrong side as the mount for the sling should be on the left hand side looking down the barrel from the breech end. The 'crown over N' is a commercial nitro proof mark added post war along with the arms dealer mark.
    I agree. Does not state if bolt is matching but is not a bad find even though BYF is most common code. After war markings hurt collector value naturally but any Kar 98 is worth money today. R/Cs are going for $500 with good bores. Best Whishes

Thank you to everyone for their replies. So just to be sure, this is an original WW2 produced stock and not a yugo or Czech post war production/copy?? Thanks again.

P.s Unfortunately the bolt is the only non matching part - although it itself is matching numbers

Good to hear MG 42. Had a BYF 44 with non matching bolt myself. Unpeened swastikas added to value. Deact or not it is still a much sought after collectible. If you could see the price of 8MM ammo over here in U.S. you may not want to fire it anyway.