Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

K98 Question

Article about: Hey guys! Just bought this rifle! Question, never seen the extra sling swivel on the bottom of the stock? (near the rear, underside) the stock has a waffempt...( Don't know if that is the ri

Default K98 Question

Hey guys!

Just bought this rifle! Question, never seen the extra sling swivel on the bottom of the stock? (near the rear, underside) the stock has a waffempt...( Don't know if that is the right spelling sorry). Is it a capture stock? From a foreign country? Or Post war add one? Or some uncommon German modification?

Thanks as always for the help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Question  

By Sword and Musket » Mauser K98k WW2 German Service Rifle
    I've never seen one before but it was easy enough to find another example, i think yours was built by ERMA!...

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    By Sword and Musket » Mauser K98k WW2 German Service Rifle
    I've never seen one before but it was easy enough to find another example, i think yours was built by ERMA!...
    Excellent! Thanks for the help! Good to know that there are others out there! Thanks!

After some research, the extra sling swivel seems to be a common Turk add on, post war. Imported by navy arms.

Lightbulb

Yes, you're right, the extra swivel was added post-war. Some pre-war 'contract' rifles ( eg those supplied to Portugal ) had sling-swivels in a walnut stock, and the G98 ( some of which were converted into K98s ) had them. I believe that no laminated-stock K98s were issued with lower sling swivels.

( BTW, I gleaned the above info from Law's 'Backbone Of The Wehrmacht' )

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Yes, you're right, the extra swivel was added post-war. Some pre-war 'contract' rifles ( eg those supplied to Portugal ) had sling-swivels in a walnut stock, and the G98 ( some of which were converted into K98s ) had them. I believe that no laminated-stock K98s were issued with lower sling swivels.

( BTW, I gleaned the above info from Law's 'Backbone Of The Wehrmacht' )
    Thanks! Going to leave as is not going to mess with it.

Nice score pal. Even if bolt M/M they are bringing respectable prices. Russian Captures going for $400-500 lately. Can you find an export marking at top of barrel on under side? My BYF 44 was a CAI import but not as nice as yours. Thanks for showing.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Nice score pal. Even if bolt M/M they are bringing respectable prices. Russian Captures going for $400-500 lately. Can you find an export marking at top of barrel on under side? My BYF 44 was a CAI import but not as nice as yours. Thanks for showing.
    I do not have the rifle yet, just paid for it. They said it was import marked, not where though. This rifle is from empire arms got it for $650. I bought it because it looks really clean. Also has a "mirror bore" never been disappointed with empire arms! It will be nice to have a k98 with the markings intact. I have 3 yugo captures, all German parts, but scrubed markings. I also have a k98 not sure of its orgin... Told spainish civil war, but doubting it for a number of reasons . Will have to take photos of that bad boy!

Sorry for rambling on!

Sounds good Danny. Love to see a pic or two when ya get it. My BYF 44 still had unscrubbed swastikas but other than that a total mix-matcher. Got my fathers all matcher from the war and that one ain't goin nowhere. Gotta get a pic of it up also. Good ya got it cause they aren't gettin any cheaper.