Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

K98 for review

Article about: Hey guys! Thinking of buying this k98. I know everything is correct, just missing the cleaning rod, but I have the correct one. My question is, has the stock been sanded? Never had I good ey

Quote by Dannyjunkfish View Post
    The only other question I have is, I checked with the seller he says the barrel band spring (thing that holds on both barrel bands is unnumbered) I know the Germans were wicked OCD with marking everything early on. Is an unmarked one correct? Or a factory depot replacement?
    On my 1938 Borsigwalde that part is numbered; so I guess in your specimen it should be numbered too, but I realized that on K98's there are more than often exceptions. Maybe a lazy worker forgot to serialize this part that day, or simply this spring was swapped during a strip and clean session.
    Anyway, since everything else seems OK, I wouldn't be concerned by this detail: by the pics this one is a nice Mauser. I would ask for more detailed pics of bolt #'s and stock markings, just to be more sure...

Not crazy about the tiny and blurry pics, but that's GB for ya... Sling frosh looks like it could be a repop? There's a guy on fleaBay (big outfit actually) that sells what looks like original slings but every single frosh has perfect lettering, clean threads, in other words look like NOS and I'm afraid that they are fake, not that he has a shortage of buyers...

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    On my 1938 Borsigwalde that part is numbered; so I guess in your specimen it should be numbered too, but I realized that on K98's there are more than often exceptions. Maybe a lazy worker forgot to serialize this part that day, or simply this spring was swapped during a strip and clean session.
    Anyway, since everything else seems OK, I wouldn't be concerned by this detail: by the pics this one is a nice Mauser. I would ask for more detailed pics of bolt #'s and stock markings, just to be more sure...
    There are a lot more pictures in the actual auction. Everything else looks OK to me, my biggest concern was the stock. Thanks, Ziomanno.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Not crazy about the tiny and blurry pics, but that's GB for ya... Sling frosh looks like it could be a repop? There's a guy on fleaBay (big outfit actually) that sells what looks like original slings but every single frosh has perfect lettering, clean threads, in other words look like NOS and I'm afraid that they are fake, not that he has a shortage of buyers...
    I agree, the frosh looks off, either really dry or wrong color or of course a possible repro. But the rest of the sling looks good to me. I have an extra sling too lying around, no biggie to me.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    It's like this old timer I use to know would say "I remember when land was a dollar an acre... and nobody had a dollar!"

The stock on this rifle looks ok. If you're going to pay top dollar for an all matching non import mark 98 and you can't tell a sanded stock, watch out...

There's a lot more to watch out on a 98k than the stock. I've had many rifles with varnished stock, (some factory varnished, Ruger, Winchester, Norinco/Romy AK, etc) that I've stripped, steel wooled the crap out of, and then Tung oiled that you could never tell from a factory or original finish. Personally, I only really like an oil finish on a rifle stock which is why I do it. Poly or Sparvar finishes only obscure wood grain, and look terrible when they cloud up or get nicked up.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not what's been done to something, it's how it's been done. If it's been done well and with care, the average person can't tell.

Personally I'd rather have on that's actual WWI dated if I was going to spend this kind of money, but this is pretty close.
    I have a decent overall knowledge of the k98ks. Just not sanding for some reason.

I posted here because I wanted to be sure, wanted second opinions.

Also I would prefer a pre-war one, fit and finish are much better and who knows where it could of been. I have a 1939 matching expect bolt and a 1940 mismatched 'turkish' capture.

Here's the link to auction, I know were not supposed to post links that will become dead, so sorry in advance.

Will delete when over.
    Last edited by Dannyjunkfish; 11-15-2015 at 01:36 PM.

Checked out the pics Danny. As on mine the barrel makers code sometimes seen on top of barrel near receiver is not visable. Some makers got their barrels from sub-contractors. Can be marked on under side of barrel underneath stock also. Seems like a good price so far. Have seen all matchers go for more. Often depends on harder to find codes. Man these guns can be a mine field especially with all the forgers out there. Early ones like this have a much better finish.

Looks a nice genuine piece of kit, well done. I got mine about 3yrs ago for £160 I think that was a good investment.
    All the best Steve.

I would not be at all concerned with a couple of small parts not having numbers. The rifle is obviously as it was carried in the war with no visible alterations at all to it. I would be certainly satisfied with this one. Bottom line, it's a beauty and you'd kick yourself forever if you let it get away! Relax and jump on it-it's a good one!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I would not be at all concerned with a couple of small parts not having numbers. The rifle is obviously as it was carried in the war with no visible alterations at all to it. I would be certainly satisfied with this one. Bottom line, it's a beauty and you'd kick yourself forever if you let it get away! Relax and jump on it-it's a good one!
    Sold! Lol, I will Deff bid!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast