Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

K98 for review

Article about: Hey guys! Thinking of buying this k98. I know everything is correct, just missing the cleaning rod, but I have the correct one. My question is, has the stock been sanded? Never had I good ey

I'd check out Item # 522319490 too! But that's just me...lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wow, matching firing pin! Yeah, it's a really nice one, thx for the link, many more decent pics. You don't have to worry about me trying to bid it up higher, I could never spend that kinda dough one of these. A Luger in a hearbeat! A 98k? I'll just have to be satisfied with the one I got. One is all you need.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Wow, matching firing pin! Yeah,m it's a really nice one, thx for the link, many more decent pics. You don't have to worry about me trying to bid it up higher, I could never spend that kinda dough one of these. A Luger in a hearbeat! A 98k? I'll just have to be satisfied with the one I got. One is all you need.
    Me too! I am a one of each person, at least once I get one as close to original as possible!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I'd check out Item # 522319490 too! But that's just me...lol
    Mmmmm that's a nice one too! I like the look of the walnut stocks!

I like Walnut on the early stuff, laminated on the later ones with cupped buttplate. Maybe one of each would representational of the "backbone of the Wahrmacht" (that's a book, don't have it but would probably like to ;-), but overall my preference leans to the later laminated cupped buttplate rifles, but I'm one of those late war kinda guys... although I don't mind the occasional earlier piece.

I like Walnut on the early stuff, laminated on the later ones with cupped buttplate. Maybe one of each would representational of the "backbone of the Wahrmacht" (that's a book, don't have it but would probably like to ;-), but overall my preference leans to the later laminated cupped buttplate rifles, but I'm one of those late war kinda guys... although I don't mind the occasional earlier piece.
    Interesting, any reason why you prefer later stuff? Myself I prefer early, seems quality is better for every country. Was in the war for the duration. Like this k98 Could of been at the battle of Poland to the Scandinavian countries, to the low country's. Who knows...

I dunno, but I do know there's a lotta guys just fanatical about ultra late war stuff, last ditch stuff... in fact the prices on it reflect it.

Personally I like that it was a big turning point in the war starting in '42, and the roughness of the weapons made after that. Somehow collecting I've ended up with a lot of '42-'44 stuff, maybe cause I'm just a poor guy with a measly bank account and I don't owe a cent to a CC company (well, not a balance that won't be paid in full when it's due anyway), but I just seem to find later war stuff, or it finds me.

I had a pristine 1938 S/42 Luger, got rid of it when I found a really nice 1939 42 code with a lot of combat wear, and got rid of that one when I found an almost equally worn byf 42 (bakelite grips ;-). To me it's all about the date it was made, not what it went through, and that S/42 was really bugging me not being actually WWII dated, the 1939 dated one was still a little prissy, the '42 I know was made when things were pretty hot and heavy...

Yep rougher finishes for sure on many items. Once owned a BYF 44. Mixmatcher capture with later phosphate bluing. Sure could tell a difference just by looking at barrel finish. know what ya mean by those cupped butt plates. hate to get bashed in the chops with that hunk of metal.

That particular piece of furniture on the later 98k's is pretty uniquely Third Reich. It's just one of "those" iconic WWII German things. The phosphate stuff doesn't do much for me on a 98k, I like "parked" guns like the 1911, but on the 98k I like blued parts. The last ditch all phosphate finish guns are pretty spooky looking. I guess that's why the call the SVW45 (and 46!) P38's "Gray Ghosts".

I dunno, but I do know there's a lotta guys just fanatical about ultra late war stuff, last ditch stuff... in fact the prices on it reflect it.

Personally I like that it was a big turning point in the war starting in '42, and the roughness of the weapons made after that. Somehow collecting I've ended up with a lot of '42-'44 stuff, maybe cause I'm just a poor guy with a measly bank account and I don't owe a cent to a CC company (well, not a balance that won't be paid in full when it's due anyway), but I just seem to find later war stuff, or it finds me.

I had a pristine 1938 S/42 Luger, got rid of it when I found a really nice 1939 42 code with a lot of combat wear, and got rid of that one when I found an almost equally worn byf 42 (bakelite grips ;-). To me it's all about the date it was made, not what it went through, and that S/42 was really bugging me not being actually WWII dated, the 1939 dated one was still a little prissy, the '42 I know was made when things were pretty hot and heavy...
    Thanks for sharing! I like the early war stuff mainly because at that time the Axis were winning, the situation looked dire for the allies, I guess I like the early stuff cause it dates to the dark days when the world hung in balance, and looked like the Axis would be triumph.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast