Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

K98 Sight hood

Article about: I recently picked up this deactivated K98 and I am quite happy with it. The only things that bother me are the front sight hood and a missing cleaning rod (have to buy one someday). It is a

?

Default K98 Sight hood

I recently picked up this deactivated K98 and I am quite happy with it. The only things that bother me are the front sight hood and a missing cleaning rod (have to buy one someday). It is a 42 DOU and probably a russian capture. The thing I'm worried about is the front sight hood, it looks different from the most K98's I've seen (just by googling and hickock45 on youtube). It might be a reproduction but it does have some wear on it, it seems. It seems to be bigger than most ones I saw on the internet (in height especially). If anyone could help me out, that would be great! If anyone knows a place where they sell original cleaning rods, be sure to let me know ! Thanks!

K98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hood

K98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hood
    Last edited by gerb; 06-04-2016 at 09:27 AM.

?

Could also be a battlefield made/homemade replacement, maybe? Just an idea!

Vesa

Hello gerb,

I can't help with the originality of the sight hood, but why not post some pics of the whole k98.

Jonathan.

According to my book DOU 42 made by Waffen Werke Brunn AG did come with a front sight hood. As far as the cleaning rod it should be the 12 1/2 inch variety. Will check for a supplier. Repros are often available as well as originals.

?

Question

It appears that you have a G 43 sight hood on your K98k.
    Sarge

?

Post updated with pictures!

?

Quote by Sarge View Post
    It appears that you have a G 43 sight hood on your K98k.
    Sarge
    I think you're right, it probably is. Thanks!

?

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    According to my book DOU 42 made by Waffen Werke Brunn AG did come with a front sight hood. As far as the cleaning rod it should be the 12 1/2 inch variety. Will check for a supplier. Repros are often available as well as originals.
    It probably had the correct (see Sarge's post) sight hood. Could it be switched during a russian capture? My rifle has all the signs of it except the X on the receiver, everything is non matching except for the front band (as far as I could check). Another weird thing is that the rear band is on the wrong side of the rifle, but I don't really mind because this way it's easier to have it on the wall.

I have checked how deep the cleaning rod hole is, and it is 24,5 cm deep (EDIT:From the center of the front sight band to the bottom of the cleaning rod hole). Which is 9,6 in inches. Thank you for your help.

?

Nice K98. Hoping to get one at some stage
    With regards to cleaning rods and sight hoods check out the Arundel Militaria site. I,m sure that they had got some in stock. I take it you,re in the UK?

?

Quote by JimMcR View Post
    Nice K98. Hoping to get one at some stage
    With regards to cleaning rods and sight hoods check out the Arundel Militaria site. I,m sure that they had got some in stock. I take it you,re in the UK?
    The Netherlands actually, but will check the site out, and see what shipping costs. Ty!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast