Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

K98 Sight hood

Article about: I recently picked up this deactivated K98 and I am quite happy with it. The only things that bother me are the front sight hood and a missing cleaning rod (have to buy one someday). It is a

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Thanks guys... what i have read is that on some guns the front sight itself was fragile and the hood was there to protect it from damage - but now i see it had a dual purpose.
    Cheers Dan
    You see permanent "ears" to protect the actual sight blade.

K98 Sight hood
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by glennsche View Post
    hi there,

it doesnt at first glance *look* like a russian capture as its missing the tell tale shellac and "red tinge" that they tend to have. then again this one's pretty pitted so it may've been just worn off.

is it all mismatching?
    Only 2 parts match. The receiver and the front band.

?

I found a cleaning rod, it has the correct size (around 10") but has only a small 'o' marking. I've been reading up on cleaning rods and I've learned that 10" are nearly always marked with 2 serial numbers and a waa stamp. This one shows some wear and is a bit pitted (just like my rifle, that's why I like it). What do you guys think, is it an original? I can get it for a reasonable price.

K98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hood

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Very true-they were a Big help in making a more precision aim on a target. Unfortunately, they had a tendency to get knocked off and lost, and in many photos you see them missing.
    the Germans also didnt put sight hoods on the K98 till midwar, around 1943 IIRC. So any K98 made prior to that will not have one. and they really do help with forming a sight picture. So much better than the G98 sights of ww1.

its one of those tricks i use to identify the year of a photo. If you're looking at pics of ww2 and the german soldiers' guns have em, you know it was taken at least during Kursk or afterwards.

MAP
    ?

Quote by gerb View Post
    I found a cleaning rod, it has the correct size (around 10") but has only a small 'o' marking. I've been reading up on cleaning rods and I've learned that 10" are nearly always marked with 2 serial numbers and a waa stamp. This one shows some wear and is a bit pitted (just like my rifle, that's why I like it). What do you guys think, is it an original? I can get it for a reasonable price.

K98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hoodK98 Sight hood
    Given that the rifle is mostly non matching, I don't think it makes much of a difference since this one fits the condition of the rifle, I think it should be fine
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thumbs up

K98k sight hoods actually started appearing in 1942. Not all factories did so originally, it was a sort of phased in thing.
    Sarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3