Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kar 98 Russian capture

Article about: I purchased this Kar 98 Mauser today at a show. I thought it was a nice looking piece. The sling is a repro I bought to carry it home. I also purchased some Turkish made 8mm rounds in a band

dicerbodesign
    ?

Default Kar 98 Russian capture

I purchased this Kar 98 Mauser today at a show. I thought it was a nice looking piece.

The sling is a repro I bought to carry it home. I also purchased some Turkish made 8mm rounds in a bandolier.

I am happy with it and the price was right.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kar 98 Russian capture   Kar 98 Russian capture  

?

Default re: Kar 98 Russian capture

Looks nice,what are the markings on the receiver ?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

dicerbodesign
    ?

42 1939 manufacture date 3 eagles on right side left side one eagle serial # 9039

?

That`s an early Mauser Oberndorf, I have a later one marked byf 42.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

dicerbodesign
    ?

Could you send some pics of yours? Yeah I went a little crazy this weekend at the Gun Show here in Orange County, CA. I was going to buy a P38 AC44 and a P08. Went conservative and bought this. It is a beautiful rifle, very well made. I have a Finnish SKY M29 which resembles the Moisin Nagant Russian rifle, but is better made. Still the Kar 98K has a better feel to it. I look forward to shooting it at the range.

Congrats on your Russian "capture".The honorable people of Russia don't like when we call them "capture".I think they feel that they are more like war trophies,but in the States thats what we call them.They have a crossed X on the receiver and many have pencil etched #s on the bolt and other parts.As you probably know most 8mm ammo is corrosive,so immediate cleaning is a must.I use an ammonia based cleaner like the original Windex to neutralize the salts and other corrosives.
    Have fun,
    Von

dicerbodesign
    ?

Thanks for the info Von. I don't mean any disrespect by calling it a "capture", but that's what the gentleman I purchased it from called it. Anyway these rifles are attained is OK by me. To the victor goes the spoils.

Suber
    ?

Dicer, be VERY careful shooting the Turkish "crap". It is very inexpensive, but it is also very old and poorly made. I would HAND inspect EVERY round that you intend to put through your rifle. I had purchsed some of that stuff years ago, and nearly one out of every five in the clip had a split in the case, usually on the neck. So BE CAREFUL!! BTW, that is a nice looking rifle. I like Russian "trophies" and have one myself. I will pick up more in the future when they come by me, even if they are NOT all matching.

dicerbodesign
    ?

thank you for the warning. I will inspect each strip clip.