Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

L1a1

Article about: Hello Guys, Well my Old Spec L1A1 SLR arrived to replace the one I already have but a closer inspection revealed it to ba an Australian one, I was chinned. I will keep the one I have and sel

Default L1a1

Hello Guys,
    Well my Old Spec L1A1 SLR arrived to replace the one I already have but a closer inspection revealed it to ba an Australian one, I was chinned.
    I will keep the one I have and sell this one.
    I will post some photos of it and will post some photos of My SLR with Bayonet and SUIT Sight with some of the Argy souvenirs i brought back in 82.

Regards
    Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture L1a1   L1a1  

L1a1   L1a1  

L1a1   L1a1  

L1a1   L1a1  

Default Re: L1a1

Nice - I have an Austrian FN FAL (STG58) here - but it has a shortened barrel and folding stock - I must say the original British configuration has a certain unwieldy grace to it.

Nice pics of a nice weapon,

Pit.

A good one to with the early style fore grip.
    The later models had more rounded front timber.

L1a1L1a1

I like it a lot mate,well done,I think she's a ripper.
    Cheers
    Dave
    I just noticed the plastic,it is certainly a beauty.Plastic furniture is pretty rare on an Aussie made L1A1.

Looks like - "An odd angry shot!"

Pit.

Quote by pitfighter View Post
    Looks like - "An odd angry shot!"

Pit.
    Too right matey - a cracker of a Vietnam movie, done in a laid back, laconic, sarcastic style that only an Aussie can sometimes understand. Due respect to the Yanks in 'nam but Hollywood could NEVER have made a movie like this.......

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Yep Odd Anger Shot,well spotted.It's a cool image hey.
    The plastic furniture on the L1a1 had me a bit baffled but it could possibly be a Lithgow made rifle for the New Zealand Army,the rear sight is also strange to me,far more blocky than the one I remember from the mid 80's.I may be totally wrong but the plastic in the end dosn't seem quite right for an Aussie issued weapon.I hope someone else may have some more info. or another theory as it looks Lithgow built.
    It's still a fine rifle to me.
    Cheers
    Dave

Serial number AD62XXxXX indicates that it was made in 1962. The rear sight is non standard but I have seen a late use example with different rear one (SAS use).

Hello Fellas all good info,
    It could be someone changed it to look like a British one.
    I was on exchange with 3 RAR in 1988 and all of the SLRs had wooden furniture. I was issued with an M203 being a Platoon Sergeant ( which was nice)
    When I first joined in the late 70s we had mixed furniture on the SLRs until they were all replaced with plastic.

?

Mr Para, a lovely looking weapon.. a little before my time I joined in 1987...I know sprog hat etc!!! lol..But I do like the SLR L1A1..nice weapon.I used the L85A1/2 for about 17 years of my service then went to bigger & better things ended up using the C8....M4 Colt looking thing..well built & nice.. 5.56mm...Is that an old spec then??...& are they pricey??.. Thanks Terry.....

Your rifle was one of the second batch made for NZ in 1962 (AD6217776 - AD6220775) of 3,000 rifles. The rear sight looks pretty standard to me, my SLRs have the same sight (One of them from the same contract as yours).

The plastic sets are of NZ origin, is there an extra set of vent holes along the top of the forgrip?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast