Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance

Article about: Hi guys! I got this Arisaka from my anthropology professor today. His dad brought it back (most likely from Okinawa) after serving aboard the USS Guadalupe (AO-32). It's a very late type 99,

Default 'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance

Hi guys!

I got this Arisaka from my anthropology professor today. His dad brought it back (most likely from Okinawa) after serving aboard the USS Guadalupe (AO-32). It's a very late type 99, all matching, but with a ground mum. It's a 34th series rifle from the Toyo Kogyo Arsenal. It's a neat rifle with a neat history. The metalwork is horrendous, though. I'm afraid to fire it...

My cat is fascinated with militaria photography. She comes running every time I take pictures of anything.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance   'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance  

'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance   'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance  

'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance   'Last Ditch' Type 99 Arisaka w/Provenance  

never seen a cat with 4 legs and 1 arm before in my life.

?

That is a nice example. The ground mums were done after the official surrender.
    Every Naval vessel that put into a Japanese port after the beginning of the occupation all crew members were given a Japanese rifle for a souvenir. The rifles captured on the Islands had the mums intact.

Great rifle Mo. Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Nice rifle,I have one of the TJK 27th series LD rifles......Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks guys! I'm glad I got to it before one of his other students did.

?

That is a great looking last ditch 99 and a matching bolt to boot. Excellent!!!
    The metal work doesn't look that bad for a last ditch. I would shoot it.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Very interesting info Steve. My Uncle sent back a Japanese rifle from the Pacific, he was a Navy guy. It did have the Mum still intact, so now I know how that happened. He was part of the Occupation also so must have sent it earlier when on the Islands. Unfortunately, back in the 1970's during a move from Missouri to Texas the rifle disappeared...we think the moving crew pinched it.

?

Nice rifle, certainly late war produced due to the wooden butt stock.

Nice piece of history, enjoy. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast