Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle

Article about: Enjoy this Danish Madsen Rifle made for the Columbian Navy and known as the Columbian Model 58... It is interesting that 1945 was considered the end of the life spand of bolt action rifles,

Default The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle

Enjoy this Danish Madsen Rifle made for the Columbian Navy and known as the Columbian Model 58... It is interesting that 1945 was considered the end of the life spand of bolt action rifles, but Madsen of Denmark imbarked on a new bolt action rifle in 1947 in .30 cal to take advanage of all the surplus .30 cal. ammo from WW2..The only contract for this rifle was Columbia for their Navy, around 5000 rifles were completed... BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle   The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle  

The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle   The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle  

The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle   The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle  

"As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Default Re: The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle

Looks like high quality construction/well designed,and attractive

?

Default Re: The Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle

very well done rifle

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    ... It is interesting that 1945 was considered the end of the life spand of bolt action rifles, but Madsen of Denmark imbarked on a new bolt action rifle in 1947 in .30 cal to take advanage of all the surplus .30 cal. ammo from WW2..The only contract for this rifle was Columbia for their Navy, around 5000 rifles were completed... BILL
    Hi Bill !

DonĀ“t forget the FR7 and FR8, also, not the MAS 36/51 !

The reason why I wake up this old thread:
    Got a Madsen bayonet, (for the rifle, not for the SMG !), today.
    Not in the best condition but, IMO, not that easy to get such bayonets these days !
    And, my bayonet is numbered !

BTW, great rifle in a stunning condition !
    Congrats, Bill !

Cheers,
    R.

P.S.:
    Sry. for the bad images of the bayonet ...

The Last 'Military Bolt Action' RifleThe Last 'Military Bolt Action' RifleThe Last 'Military Bolt Action' RifleThe Last 'Military Bolt Action' RifleThe Last 'Military Bolt Action' RifleThe Last 'Military Bolt Action' RifleThe Last 'Military Bolt Action' Rifle

?

I have 2 of these rifles in unissued condition with matching bayonet serial #'s and new original slings. Inever fired either because no matter how I tried I couldn't get my check on the stock in a position to use the sights.

Perhaps that's why there are apparently so many around in good or better condition (relative to the small number made...).
    One has to wonder how Madsen managed to sell them in a market awash with surplus bolt action rifles post 1945.

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Perhaps that's why there are apparently so many around in good or better condition (relative to the small number made...).
    One has to wonder how Madsen managed to sell them in a market awash with surplus bolt action rifles post 1945.
    I agree with you it's the only rifle I have ever had that problem with. Maybe it's meant for very small Hobbit type people.

These were supposedly designed for sale to the non european market It may have been an attempt to get Madsen making money with a new design I have mine an it is quite sharp< the bayonet being much harder to locate Some have a black enamel disc affixed to the obverse side of the stock> Is this significant in any way /

?

After ww2, Norway had so many rifles they dug big trenches in the beaches. Placed the rifles with the pipes pointed up, And then buried them again. Some months later they re-dug the rifles halfway only so the seawater and corrosion would destroy as quickly as possible.

This comes from a elderly collector i knew before he died, he was in the military post 45, and had the horrible nitemarish job of destroying weapons

Every country (even those not directly involved in the war) with any sort of industrial base had been pumping out rifles for up to 6 years, not to mention surplus WW1 and pre war stocks-absolutely no shortage of this sort of weapon! You'd have to think there was some graft involved in selling a new design to any country when Mausers (the Latin American standard) could have been rechambered and sold for pennies instead...