Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield .22 air rifle,

Article about: Hi, i had a thread a couple of weeks ago about a Lee Enfield .22 air rifle i was shown and offered, i ask a few questions on here and was put right about the legal ownership of the rifle. I

Default Lee Enfield .22 air rifle,

Hi,
    i had a thread a couple of weeks ago about a Lee Enfield .22 air rifle i was shown and offered, i ask a few questions on here and was put right about the legal ownership of the rifle. I left it where it was, i have been lucky to get some pics of it to show on here for those who have never seen one. It is a standerd No 4, Enfield made into an pre-charged air rifle, as you can see there is the pump and attachment including one of the pre-charged cartriges, I am told even the cartriges are hard to get hold of now.
    You can see the small .22 head that goes into the top of the round in the picture.
    Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lee Enfield .22 air rifle,   Lee Enfield .22 air rifle,  

Lee Enfield .22 air rifle,  

?

1st one I have ever seen.

Hi Steve
    It was the first for me to, i bet there arnt many about now, but i left this one where it was.
    Dave.
    I would like to know how much they would be worth it we could buy them though,

The charging pump was called the 'Slim Jim Charger'. The pistol cartridges are a lot shorter, basically the same as a .38, and are still available from dealers, although I haven't seen the rifle ones above for years. The pellet was actually a specially made .223 NATO cal. 'Air' bullet that was produced for use in the rifle.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned,
    Thanks for the info you put up, I thought it was a sraight forward type pellet but live and learn it is a nice looking rifle and would be nice in the collection but i wont take the chance, there are plenty more nice rifles out there.
    Dave.

Hi Dave,

It'll use regular .22 pellets as well, but either way accuracy was no better than the the cheapest air rifle on the market with an accuracy of about 1" at 25 yards at best, so only good for plinking really. The trouble with the system was that the cartridges are very maintainance heavy, constantly needing stripping, cleaning, oiling and replacing 'O' rings on a regular basis besides fiddling about priming them. That's one of the reasons they were never marketed in the States, as it fell between a spring/pump air rifle and a small bore (.22) rifle, and wasn't as efficient as either which are both easily available over there. It's a lot of effort to load up a half dozen air cartridges compared to popping in a pellet or round into the alternative weapons, and that's what killed it over there.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Ned,
    I did look into one of the cartridges and saw the very small rings you mention very fiddly i think the cartridge itself is a marval i didnt think it had all that inside until i was shown it. But as you say if it was only as good as a standard air rifle what was the point, just to look good i would think. If it was offered deac i would have had it just as a curio but i couldnt even get it deactivated if i had it so now use to me, i shouldnt have thought there are many around now anyway i prefere the old air rifles i have.
    Dave.