Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield Long Branch No4 Mk1*

Article about: Hi guys, I have found a couple of Lee Enfield Long Branch No4 Mk1* and was curious on which is better and more valuable. One is from '43 and the other is '44. The '43 one has a 2 groove barr

Default Lee Enfield Long Branch No4 Mk1*

Hi guys, I have found a couple of Lee Enfield Long Branch No4 Mk1* and was curious on which is better and more valuable. One is from '43 and the other is '44. The '43 one has a 2 groove barrel and the other has a 5 groove. What is the difference, will it affect speed and accuracy?

Thanks

?

Default Re: Lee Enfield Long Branch No4 Mk1*

Assuming the same condition I would think the 5 grooved barrel Mk I* would be worth somewhat more than the 2 grooved one. Although some 03A3's were built with 2 groove barrels and it is said there was no perceptible difference in accuracy. Whatever that means.

Thanks samnev for the info. Why would the 5 groove barrel be worth more? Was it because during wartime they tried to cut cost limiting grooves?

?

IMO I have seen a number of 2 grove barreled 03A3's for sale and they just did not bring as much money on the Milsurp market. The 2 groove was a war time expedient to lower cost and production time. Whether they shot as well as the 4 groove I don't know never having shot one.

Ok thanks.