Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lee Enfield no4 mk1 dating

Article about: I have a no4 mk1 that has the serial number GC 22351 on the bolt and buttstock socket and the receiver says ROF(F) For Fazakerley and what i can only make out as a 43? Does anyone know the d

Default Lee Enfield no4 mk1 dating

I have a no4 mk1 that has the serial number GC 22351 on the bolt and buttstock socket and the receiver says ROF(F) For Fazakerley and what i can only make out as a 43? Does anyone know the date of manufacture on something like this? Thank you in advance.

It was indeed made by Fazakerley as indicated in the first numeral of your serial number 2=Fazakerley and 43 is the year produced.

Thank you for the reply I also have an additional question. Is the round "button" type cocking piece normal to this rifle? Most of the ones i see are the flat ones with grooves.

I do believe it is normal without researching further. The No.1 MK3 had the flat cocking piece you are referring to. I'm going by memory here so someone else feel free to correct me.

The flat sided cocking piece is more usually associated with the No.4 series of rifles. It first made its appearance on the No.1 Mk.111 rifles in WW1 when it replaced the button type cocking piece.

Cheers,
    Steve