Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Lee-Enfield No4Mk1(T)

Article about: I had wanted an Enfield sniper for many years when this one wandered into view. It now spends most of its' time leaning in the corner of my den. I've only taken it out to the desert one time

Default Re: Lee-Enfield No4Mk1(T)

The US leather sling was used.

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

a leather sling on a no4T job to tell from this pic but it does not look any were near as comlicated as a garrend sling , Ade im sure your correct ,but in all the years i have had the privalige to see ,use ,and shoot no4 ive never seen one with a garrand sling fitted , cheers mate ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lee-Enfield No4Mk1(T)  

Hi Ian, that is the US pattern sling.

But I am, as usual, talking the WW2 era. No knowledge stops at 1945

Cheers, Ade.

ian
    ?

my father god rest him was in the home guard during the war , he had a p14 with a us leather sling , and he told me when they were first issued the spent hours trying to work out how to fit the slings , "a right tangle " he used to say,so there defenatly is presedent for there use , ive just never seen one , but then all my experience is target shooting ,and of cource post war , cheers again Ade ,ian

?

The sling issued with the WWII "T'" was the US 1907 leather sling, (the 1903 and Garand sling). The sling was kind of complicated to install if you never did it before, but when used it could be looped with your arm throught the loop to help steady your aim, Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 06-03-2010 at 12:00 PM.

This morning I phoned GE Fultons of Bisley Camp and they confermed that the No4 T sniper rifle was issued with the American Garand sling. They also said that most snipers reverted to using the standard .303 webbing sling. So either of the slings would be correct. I also asked about the 2 in. web sling and their reply was, not issued as sniper kit but used post WWII for full bore range shooting. John.

ian
    ?

John i think that just about summs it up , cheers ian

?

Having seen or handled about 40 "T"s in person and on web sites I've never seen one with the standard .303 sling on it.
    However I don't doubt the web sling was used though as I've heard that some Brit snipers didn't care for the leather 07 sling because the leather became slippery when wet.
    However if you want a "T" to be correct and as issued with the regulation equipment specified, it should have a 07 sling on it. There was a reason why the 07 sling was selected by Brit Ord. Otherwise they would not have adopted it for their rifle.
    It is a better sling to assist more steady/accurate shooting.
    The history of the 07 sling was it was an US issue sling but designed more for target shooting with the 03 Springfield in the day when the US was not involved in any major campaigns and target shooting was important with the military.
    It wasn't until the more practical web sling came out for the Garand in 1943 that the 07 sling was not standard issue in the US anymore but used by/for target shooters. Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 06-03-2010 at 08:14 PM.

A couple of months ago I decided to take the rifle to the range and play with it a bit. Ammo used was the Yugoslavian ball that was readily available a few years back. I put aside a couple of thousand rounds and still have plenty.

What I found most gratifying was that the come-ups on the scope were dead on. Our range has paper targets at 100 yards and steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards.

Once I had the rifle dialed in at 100 on paper, all it took was dialing the scope to the corresponding range and I achieved first round hits at every distance to 600.

My reticule seems to be just a bit out of focus, but it did not affect the way it shot. I love this rifle, and the history that it represents.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3