Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Legitimate SVT? - Nothing like Ive ever seen...

Article about: Well, gents, here an interesting piece I seen with an Eagle on the receiver like nothing I have ever seen on a rifle before. It comes off as shoddy, perhaps it wasnt arsenal finished but fie

Default Legitimate SVT? - Nothing like Ive ever seen...

Well, gents, here an interesting piece I seen with an Eagle on the receiver like nothing I have ever seen on a rifle before. It comes off as shoddy, perhaps it wasnt arsenal finished but field done? Im a 'noob' when it comes to captured munitions.
    What is your take on this?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Legitimate SVT? - Nothing like Ive ever seen...   Legitimate SVT? - Nothing like Ive ever seen...  

Legitimate SVT? - Nothing like Ive ever seen...  

Default Re: Legitimate SVT? - Nothing like Ive ever seen...

That eagle looks very poor. I think it is field captured by the Germans. I know they would use captured pp-sh's, so maybe an svt also?

Any idea on how it would have been etched in? Reason why? (I can guess that if it was made in the field the soldier would have done it to royally piss off the Russian who picked it back up). Anyone happen to have a source to other rifles like an M44 or captured 91/30 with the same rudimentary Eagle? I believe the date seems possible enough to have been captured if not by the Germans certainly a Finn.

I strongly believe the marking is a fake. The rifle is an arsenal refinished example and the Russians would not have left that marking in place if it were period done.

I have seen other SVT40's with bogus markings applied by a UK dealer. They try to obtain more money for them.

Cheers, Ade.

Agreed, fake, it looks massive! And from what I can gather, capture marks were generally aplied by a stamp in a base workshop where it would be given a good check