Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

Article about: Hello, all! This is the result of my quick trip to the gun shop to pick up some ammo for the Memorial Day weekend... For \\$200... WHY THE HELL NOT?! Please correct me if I am wrong, but It's

Default Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

Hello, all!

This is the result of my quick trip to the gun shop to pick up some ammo for the Memorial Day weekend... For $200... WHY THE HELL NOT?!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but It's a No. 4 Mk. I* as produced by Savage-Arms and marked "U.S. Property" to be part of the lend-lease program to aid England and her Commonwealth nations.

It seems to be in great shape, and the cosmoline it's smothered in really kept the metal nice. Bore and barrel are in great shape... barrel is shiny w sharp lands and grooves.

The sling is a mystery to me... Almost looks tribal. Maybe this rifle saw use in the Middle East or the Pacific?

Is there anything else I am missing about this rifle? Is this rifle missing any of it's parts or accessories? Please help me learn!

Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* RifleLend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

Default Re: Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

Beautiful simply beautiful

Quote by crites1234 View Post
    Beautiful simply beautiful
    THANKS! I really love the tone of the wood. Awesome that it appears to have matching serial numbers and all Savage parts (Marked with a squared off "S" that kind of looks like a "5").

Have I found treasure in the stock compartment?

Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

Can anyone tell me what exactly goes in the stock compartment? Also, what type of bayonet would I need for this rifle?

?

Check this site....Pete...Lee Enfield No4 MK1* (D25)
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

WHat a score. COngrats!!

Thanks Pete and Mark!

Quote by MarkV View Post
    WHat a score. COngrats!!
    I'd love to hear more of your opinion on this rifle!

A good example-the butt trap would contain a pull through (Britain got rid of cleaning/clearing rods from 1900 onwards), an oil bottle (usually the cheaper and lighter bakelite plastic model not the brass one) and some service flannelette '4 by 2' material for cleaning-the bayo is usually one of the spike No.4. models but there are others used post war-see below.

PS-the sling appears to be the standard web pattern introduced to replace leather examples during WW1-the buff colour is post WW1-yours appears to have been modified by removing the brass/steel keepers and being sewn at the ends to keep it on the riifle permanently-a civilian modification as the sling was meant to be removed for blancoeing (whitening for parade)or tensioned tight, again for parade use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle   Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast