Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

Article about: Hello, all! This is the result of my quick trip to the gun shop to pick up some ammo for the Memorial Day weekend... For \\$200... WHY THE HELL NOT?! Please correct me if I am wrong, but It's

Default Re: Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

In relation to the bayonet, Savage produced a spike version which will be marked with their logo

The Savage marked pig stickers look like this, and it would have had a frog that looked something like this, there were 6 variations of frogs I think, i'd have to check my books, but I know there was a No6 frog.

Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle

There was a third marking, the large S without the box around it, but I haven't found that one yet. The spike bayonet had 4 variants, the No 1 which was a cruciform and forged from 1 piece, The No II which was forged from 1 piece of steel, and plain round. The No II* which was 2 pieces of forged steel, the spike welded to the socket, and the No III, of whcich the socket was all welded castings, 7 of them, and the blade was welded to this managerie. There were also about 5 different scabbards for the spike bayonet, so you have quite a few variations to chase if you wanted to collect them all hehe
    Last edited by Stinkpotpete; 05-20-2012 at 01:47 AM.

4md
    ?

Nice rifle Joe, looks all original with matching numbers. I have a 1942 dated savage no4mk1* as well in similar condition.If you didnt know savage no4mk1*s had a few modifications to simplify production..... two groove barrel, the cut out to remove the bolt and the flip 300/600 sight.

does your rifle have a two groove barrel? also does it have a manufacture date.

Savage marked bayonets are relatively easy to find, I also managed to get a savage made canvas action cover as well. The action covers are easy to spot they have a huge square s on them.

great price by the way

regards Paul

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Pete, I already have my eye on a Savage MKII bayonet on ebay.

Paul, Yes, my rifle has a two groove barrel. I can't see a manufacture date.

4md
    ?

the date is usually on the butt socket below the serial number, i cant see it in the photo you have there.... maybe its ground down.

heres a photo of my rifle, its in excellent cond. except for the rather ugly wood removal done by a target shooter. also the savage marked action cover

regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle  

Hi Paul,

The manufacture date hasn't been ground down, I've read that from late 1943 until 1944 for Savage stopped marking their Enfields with a date stamp.

Since my rifle has a 72C serial number, it's probably a 1943.

You have a beautiful rifle, Paul! Is it live, or has it been deactivated?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    PS-the sling appears to be the standard web pattern introduced to replace leather examples during WW1-the buff colour is post WW1-yours appears to have been modified by removing the brass/steel keepers and being sewn at the ends to keep it on the riifle permanently-a civilian modification as the sling was meant to be removed for blancoeing (whitening for parade)or tensioned tight, again for parade use.
    How would I go about installing a proper sling?

Can you tell if anything else is missing from my rifle?

Step 1-remove the existing sling by cutting it off or slitting open the stitching on the ends and Step 2-obtain a web sling-readiliy available especially a late war or postwar model (be careful not to get the 'Jungle carbine/L1A1 SLR' model as this is shorter than the Lee Enfield No.3 or 4 sling. See the pics above for fitting on the rifle-it's pretty simple compared to the nightmare of Springfield/Garand slings.

PS -As far as being complete, apart from the cleaning kit, sling and bayo, you could get a canvas action cover, the grenade discharger cup, armourers tools etc but the actual rifle has all its functional parts.
    Last edited by lithgow; 05-20-2012 at 09:36 PM.

4md
    ?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Hi Paul,

The manufacture date hasn't been ground down, I've read that from late 1943 until 1944 for Savage stopped marking their Enfields with a date stamp.

Since my rifle has a 72C serial number, it's probably a 1943.

I didnt know about the dates being stopped. Your Savage looks complete with nothing missing that i can see.
    My rifle is live but i dont shoot it any more, i think these days i would rather preserve it.
    As for the sling they are easy to install, you feed the brass ends through the sling attachments and the prongs hook back onto the sling. I have been told that the correct way is to have the prongs facing out( see photos). but I see a lot of enfields with the prongs facing either way.
    My sling is Canadian from ebay, they come up all the time,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle   Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle  

Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle   Lend-Lease No. 4 Mk. I* Rifle  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast