Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lend Lease Smith&Wesson Victory

Article about: Found this at a gun show yesterday. It has both the British crows foot and the Aussie proof. I haven't found much yet on why it would have both, but I'll have something to do on a rainy day.

Default Lend Lease Smith&Wesson Victory

Found this at a gun show yesterday. It has both the British crows foot and the Aussie proof. I haven't found much yet on why it would have both, but I'll have something to do on a rainy day. It's chambered in .38/200 or .38 S&W, has a 5 inch/102mm barrel. Was FTR'd in Australia in '53.

GHD the initials of Guy H. Drewry, the Army inspector at the Springfield Armory

The serial number puts the manufacture date around March-April 1943

Looks to be in really decent shape. What was the price on this one?

Other than the push rod, it's hardly been fired since the FTR, so it is in really nice shape. Hardly any wear on the cylinder. It was under 5, there were a couple others at the show, from 6 up to 1300. I might have to start collecting these after I get the rest of the ww 1 vintage I want.

?

Super S&W. Fun to see.

Is the serial number V318? If so, a very low number. Nice condition with some great markings. A great piece. Probably worth spending the money on a letter from S&W.

G2

No, it's a 6 digit serial, I just blurred the last 3.

Thanks Steve, I've always liked Smiths, this one jumped out and said take me home!

Mine is essentially identical-our army was a small force post WW2 and weapons like the revolver were little used-they were supplemented and then replaced by the Browning HP35s of Inglis and then FN manufacture from the 1950s on.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Lend Lease Smith&Wesson Victory  

That's a nice one Lithgow. I haven't been bale to find much on line about the dual MoD markings. Do you know, were these given to the Brits first and then transferred to the Aussies? S&W records only cover them until they reached an arsenal in Massachusetts and then there's nothing more.

?

Paul,

The Australian's also marked their items with a plain broad arrow for Govt acceptance. Seeing as the plain broad arrow is next to a Lithgow inspector's mark, I would be leaning towards it being an Australian marking rather than British.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast