Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Long Branch No4 Mk1, NZ Marked

Article about: It's a perfect day for photography, and so I've decided to start posting some more of my deactivated firearms. I've held off because, honestly, none of them are really the best examples of t

I could add that these No.4 rifles were turned over to the NZ Cadet Forces for drill and parade purposes from 1960 when the L1A1 SLR was introduced into service across all NZ armed services. The NZ Cadets continued to use the No.4 rifle right up until about ten years ago. I believe it was in 2008 the NZ Government auctioned off the entire remaining stock of No.4s. Many obviously bought by dealers and collectors. All will have the DP stamp.

I had a longbranch No4 that was deadly accurate,Smooth operating bolt, and the maple stock was rather comfortable to shoot. I will say it was a better shooter than my Lithgow. The Canadians made one great .303!

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I hear nothing but good things about the SLR, especially when it's compared to the SA80/L85 series of rifles.

B.B.
    Having used both the SLR and the L85A1 & L2 in "combat situations"( The Army does not like it to be called the SA80 because they never took delivery of it until the early 90's ) I can tell you with absolute certainty ..... They are definitely 2 different breeds Whereas the SLR housed a 7.62 round and was a true "man stopper" The A1&A2 uses the 5.56 (223 fox round) designed to wound and not kill. The L85 is much easier to carry and sustain fire, where the SLR kicks like a mule. If you kill a man on the battlefield - he's dead - but if you wound him - it takes 5 people to look after him - Attrition

I also have 15 Lee Enfields Both SMLE and Mk4's and a few Long Branches - all matching including woodwork.....and all live

" where the SLR kicks like a mule" Interesting comment John, I'll bow your your experience, but I have fired the SLR and never noticed recoil as an issue especially after being use to Lee Enfield bolt actions. In fact I would have called the recoil moderate only.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    " where the SLR kicks like a mule" Interesting comment John, I'll bow your your experience, but I have fired the SLR and never noticed recoil as an issue especially after being use to Lee Enfield bolt actions. In fact I would have called the recoil moderate only.
    It depends on how many rounds you are putting down

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3