Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for SA M1 Garand SN 2860035

Article about: It's that time of the year again that I re-energize the search for the M1 that my dad was issued at Parris Island in June 1946. SN is 2860035. Maybe this will be my lucky year!! Please feel

?

Default Looking for SA M1 Garand SN 2860035

It's that time of the year again that I re-energize the search for the M1 that my dad was issued at Parris Island in June 1946.

SN is 2860035.

Looking for SA M1 Garand SN 2860035

Maybe this will be my lucky year!!

Please feel free to share the SN around other fora. Thanks!!

?

Default Re: Looking for SA M1 Garand SN 2860035

MarkV just checked mine sorry no match. Good luck in your search . Gary

?

just curious how did it leave his pocession?

?

Quote by thekid View Post
    just curious how did it leave his pocession?
    When he graduated from boot camp it was turned in and he returned home to join the US Marine Corps Reserve since they were no longer filling units with replacements. He kept his qualification record book and the Sn was recorded on the front of the book.

Thanks for checking, Gary!! I look at every Garand I see at gun shows.

Hi Mark, good luck with your quest! Talk about a needle in a haystack! But you never know...

The photo is really interesting. I like how your Dad's utilities (HBT jacket) has been converted for shooting with the shoulder and elbow patches.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Stranger things have happened, Ade!! lol

The picture was taken at the firing range after he scored as high qualifier in his platoon. I think - but am not certain - that the jacket was a typical USMC shooting jacket and you can still find them around. The photo was sent to our local newspaper where my grandmother was a proof reader. She was able to keep the original along with the press announcement that accompanied it. I have them in a case on the wall, along with a "place holder" M1 Garand. Maybe some day I'll be able to put 2860035 in there.

Mark

Hi Mark,
    Wow it is a needle in a haystack indeed, but as said you never know, but these rifles are all over the world so may be one day. We have them over here for live firing and deac also, it could be anywhere.
    dave

have you had any heart stopping moments when u have come across a similar serial number?

?

I've never seen any that were closer than 10,000 away - but I was contacted by someone a few years back who has one within 8 of the one I'm looking for.

The frustrating part is that there is a list that has been kept for years - started out on an M1 Garand dedicated forum that went under. The list floated and it is felt that some of the additions were made either to give people like me false hope or just to add numbers that people knew existed because they saw posts like mine. So, the list contains 2860035. But, it doesn't contain any of the contact info that others do so there is no way to know who put it there or why. At best, it just lets me know that it is out there somewhere - at worst it was someone jerking my chain.

Good luck with your quest Mark...You know, many thousands were given to Greece as MFA by JUSMAG around 1950s. At present time, only the Navy, Airforce (both at bootcamps) and Presidential Guard are utilising them. A lot have been sold back to U.S. after the greek forces adopted the HK G3 in 7.62x51mm AR. You can still see them on the shoulders of the PG at the unknown soldier monument in Syntagma square, downtown Athens...
    Regards, Thanos.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast